News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

About book 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by tealeaf, October 5, 2005, 12:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo

but heros are defined as great individuals who have done extrodinary things, so your logic doesn't hold up.
"Without a common power to keep them in check, there will be no advancement, and the life of man is poor, solitary, nasty, brutish, and short."~Thomas Hobbes

KeeperGirl

Hero is defined a person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life

As for Great (greatness) - Superior in quality or character as noble

man i just confused my self i have no idea which is which

So really in the end harry wont be Great he'll be Hero

Neo

but heros are great, theres no such thing as a nongreat hero. so he'll be a great hero, which is redundent, so he'll be a hero.
"Without a common power to keep them in check, there will be no advancement, and the life of man is poor, solitary, nasty, brutish, and short."~Thomas Hobbes

Ginny Weasly

Ow! My head hurts! You guys just confused me with the great is hero, hero is great or not thing.
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

Neo

KeeperGirl

But also to me Great is Past and hero is present - this could o on for ages lol

Neo

But you admitted that people like lance armstrong are great, yet he's still alive. You can't have it both ways Keep.

KeeperGirl

Neo!! i dont even know who the hell Lance Armstrong is so call me dumb lol, so i owuldn't of admitted that........in my words ill put it all in one :

GREAT - someone who has conquered evil and has lived to tell it - as a past tense - as in there not alive now coz time has gone on
HERO - someone who has conquered evil and has lived to tell it - and are still alive now - present

to you get what i mean - thats how i see it............by th way who is is lance armstrong!!!???

Neo

So once a Hero dies he's no longer a Hero in your eyes? That's pretty unfair Keeper, everyone eventually dies, including heros. Its not fair to stop considering someone a hero simply because they did something as human as dieing.

And Lance Armstrong is the winner of the most Tour de Frances in history, which he did after he almost died by prostate cancer, fought through it, and won the worlds most grueling race another few times. A great man indeed.

LavyBrown

I have to agree with Neo on this one, I mean look at all the people in history that are Hero's. Martin Luther King Jr. George Washington, Abe Lincon, MX, I mean there are so many people who are dead but their still heroes, right?
Don't do it behind the garden gate, love is blind but the neighbours ain't!
Can I get your picture? I collect nature disasters.
Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried to slam a revolving door.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age

goblet_fulla_fire

I know how to prevent prostate cancer. Does anybody else?
I am a dog.

Neo

gob please don't ruin one of the few serious discussions we have going on this site with a stupid joke.

KeeperGirl

I dont think im explaining this properly
I got myself all confused - i think great and hero are the same thing just because one has died doesn't mean they aren't a hero they probably were in there time but bow that thy have past they are great for wot they did - and i think Great is better then hero but they do mean similar things so you can either call it great or hero to me it doesnt matter coz to me Great is the tense for someone who has past was is a hero in there own time but now they are great -  do you nnow what im saying

im not saying that just coz they died there not a hero anymore 

OMG i cant even explain it

Great and Hero are both individual happenings but one os better then the other and you become form hero to great as your story lives on to tell others of your accomplishment and why they were a hero

Do you know where im coming from

goblet_fulla_fire

A joke? Who says I'm joking? Have you actually considered that I might KNOW of a way to prevent prostate cancer before you make assumptions?
I am a dog.

Neo

I understand where your comming from Keeper, but here's this angle: The people whose stories are passed down in legendes, myths, etc., are Heros, not just a few "great" people. The myths tell people of the Hero's great exploits, but the focus is still on a Hero, not a "great" person.

And yes gob, knowing how you usually are on this forum I assumed the worst, especially since condiering the subject matter at hand, your comment was completly off the wall