News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Role Play F.A.Q.

Started by Ginny Weasly, June 13, 2007, 12:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginny Weasly

F.A.Q.

Q. What is RPing?
A. RPing stands for role-playing. Role-playing is kind of like acting, and at the same time, you are writing a story.

Q. How do you RP?
A. At this site, we role-play in third person narratives.
       EXAMPLE: Ginny sat under the tree reading a book. She smiled to herself and said, "I like this book."

Q. Can I make up my own character for RPs?
A. Of course! It's more fun that way. Just don't make yourself all powerful. We have some of those already.

Q. Can I use a character from the books?
A. Yuppers, if that character isn't already taken.

Q. How do I join an RP?
A. Just hit the reply button and post! Just make sure it makes sense, otherwise, you may be laughed at.

Q. Do my replies have to be long?
A. Nope. But it adds to the story so much more. One liners don't advance the story, or tell everyone what your character is about. Express your character's thoughts and feelings. It makes the RP so much more fun!

Q. Do I have to RP about Harry Potter?

A. You have to RP in the Harry Potter world. That means read the books and get the general sense of how it works. However, your character can vary. Just make sure it follows the HP guidelines! Our forum also follows a slightly altered version of the original Harry Potter. We did this so we could use a little bit of our own creativity. For more information, see Kiara's stories, as well as one of mine.

Q. How long do my replies have to be?

A. As long as it takes! The general idea here is to write, write, write! Be descriptive, react, think! One-liners are boring and flat, and hardly any fun. So a paragraph at least is a good start. Sometimes that's all you can do. Just be descriptive and you'll do fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few things I would recommend to all role-players;

1. Read all of Kiara's original stories! This forum uses those as a guide for our own storyline. You can start here-http://www.harrypotterfan.com/forum/index.php?topic=850.msg27913#msg27913

2. Don't use Voldemort all that much. He stopped being scary the 165847th time someone used him in an RP.

3. Be descriptive! People will want to RP if you are descriptive.

4. Don't type out of character too much in an RP. It's annoying.

5. Read some back RPs to understand a few things.

6. PLEASE, no more vampires!

7. Older members are more powerful than newer ones. That's just how it is and always will be.

8. Until you have some experience under your belt, I suggest limiting yourself to one character.

9. Romance is cool. But really, avoid having your character get engaged at, like, 13. It's more annoying than anything.

10. If you have questions, ASK them! Don't just wing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some things you might want to know;

1. In most cases, Dumbledore is dead.
2. Voldemort isn't that scary.
3. Fudge isn't the Minister of Magic. Mr. Max Johnson is.
4. Snape isn't a teacher here anymore.
5. Ginny and Harry did NOT get married. (Platonic. Totally.)
6. Harry has a twin sister named Kiara.
7. The 'original' group are almost always grown up. So you character is about second generation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There, that's not all of it. If someone thinks something should be added, send me a message.
PLEASE do NOT post on this topic!
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret