News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Feelings After Reading Deathly Hallows (Spoilers, Of Course)

Started by goblet_fulla_fire, July 23, 2007, 04:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblet_fulla_fire

(Spoiler warning just in case you were really ignorant when clicking this thread)

Yeah, you knew this thread would come soon. Tell how you felt about DH. I'll start off.

I didn't really like how JK hinted at what could happen in the book: confirming the death of two characters and hinting of killing Harry. I kinda knew that two or more characters would die. I always thought that hinting killing Harry off was really just setting in the closure of the series. As I read, I began to feel like she used the announcement to making the reader think, "Wow. Harry could actually die." Even when there were hundreds of pages to go, reading had become difficult as the characters I cared for in the past books were fighting and escaping through what seemed to be an endless amount of ambushes and attacks.

I knew the book wouldn't end in 'scar.' It seems like the kind of rumor where it just sounds like a good idea.

I was convinced that Harry wouldn't die. And I was technically right as he was alive and no spell can awaken the dead. If Harry was to die, I knew even before the book came out that it would be in a noble cause. I even created a theory (I know I'm not the only one that did) that Harry himself may have been a Horcrux. After rereading, I dismissed the theory as I thought that any separation of the soul was deliberate, seeing as how Voldemort wanted to make the 7th Horcrux with Harry's death and in failing to do so, could have in no way made Harry a Horcrux. But I was mostly wrong in that one since Harry is a Horcrux. Even when Harry learned he was a Horcrux, I didn't think he would die but I wasn't confident at all at what I thought. Fortunately, that added to my reading experience. There were a few reasons why I thought Harry wouldn't be killed off. For one, we all adore him. Seven entire books were written about him and killing him in the end of those seven books would discourage and upset us. I just knew I that we were going to recieve a good ending, and I couldn't see anything good about Harry dying even if it was noble of him to do so. The characters in the book would have all been sad(Ginny was one of the bigger characters I thought of in this) and the characters who died would have seemed to died in vain, to me at least.

Moving on to Snape, I was quite sure that he was bad. What with all the 'Is Snape good or bad?' talk, I tried to think of ways on how Dumbledore's death was planned. I didn't think that the death could have been beneficial in any way and would do more harm than good. But of course, I did not know that Dumbledore was already dying and that his hand plagued the rest of his body as well. So he wanted his death to be helpful to Harry. Now this would have been useful to know. But of course, that would have ruined most of the book.

To be honest, I wasn't really that big on Dumbledore's past. It was getting sadder and sadder and Dumbledore's end speech was touching. I cared what was going on, but not even as near as much the other conflicts.

I've always imagined the book to just really be about going town-to-town getting clues on the whereabouts of the Horcruxes. The book took an almost entirely different approach and JK did a good job on keeping me suspenseful. The book was very unpredictable and enjoyable. It was very hard to put down. To me, it was nigh impossible to put down the book for a break when the chapter ended on a cliffhanger.

Now onto romance. I could just tell by the sixth book that Ron and Hermione were going to end up together. Harry hooked up with Cho when he wanted her, Harry hooked up Ginny when he wanted her, and there were SO many signs on how Ron and Hermione wanted each other, in both the sixth and seventh book. I don't think I need to point them out, Hermione being upset when Ron was with Lavender, Ron crying out Hermione's name when she was tortured, Ron frequently giving her compliments, Ron doing frequently making physical contact with Hermione, and the oh-so-small sign when Ron stared into the locket and it told him how Hermione preferred famous Harry over boring unwanted Ron. Yes, that 'oh-so-small' part was sarcasm.
After Harry's two romances, I knew JK wasn't one to let potential romances go to waste. I knew it was only a matter of time. Just trying to figure out when they would kiss finally was the tough part, and it caught you off guard just after when Ron said something out of care for the elves during the siege did Hermione became happy and attracted enough to Ron to go kiss the hell out of him.
Now onto Harry's romance. I knew that there would be frequent references to Harry's longing of Ginny. I didn't know if Ginny would give the good-bye kiss to Harry, because I thought that would be a little cliche. But when that time came, it didn't bother me. I figured that there must be a happy ending for Ginny as well, and Harry longed to be with her so much. This brings me back on why I think Harry wouldn't die.
I didn't expect to see Remus and Tonks' relationship to go so far, to the point of marrying and even conceiving. I don't really have much more to say about their romance, as it wasn't mentioned very much in the book. So I'll move onto people's deaths.

Now the death's really played a big part in the book. I won't go in far with the first death, as it hardly mattered to anyone. I thank God that this death was the only spoiler I knew going in the book. I recently saw a spoiler on this site, going against my advice thinking it was okay. I immediately took my face off the browser when I saw sentence that said that Burbige died on page 12, seeing as how we never heard of Burbige and if she died on page 12, well, we wouldn't really care all that much, would we? Onto the point, the book was really big for me to take in in two days. I thought that Hagrid was dead at the end of the early chapters. I thought it would be the kind of time to kill off Hagrid, but thankfully he was all right. Mad Eye dying was a little shocking, but it seemed necessary. Wormtail's death didn't seem to take in much attention in the book. I thought he would have a bigger role in helping Harry because he saved his life. That fact didn't receive much attention either. Minutes after that, we see Dobby's death, which without doubt, was the worse death to endure for both Harry and the reader, to endure so far in the book. JK does a good job to make the reader feel the loss of Dobby. I hope I'm not missing anything between here and the siege. The siege was very upsetting. In one day, Lupin, Tonks, and Fred all die! Out of the three, I think that Fred shouldn't have been killed. I think it would have been better if Percy died in my opinion. I mean, biggest brother comes back asking for forgiveness from his family, later giving his life for his brothers. With lovable Fred gone, it makes you think about George's future. Will he still be making jokes and trying out new things in the Weasley Wizard Whizzes, only to look to his side and remember his best friend and brother was dead? It just didn't seem right. Now, onto Remus and Tonks. Their deaths were very upsetting to me. But it was good to know that they managed to make something to leave their imprint on the world, which I am of course referring to their baby. However, this didn't really cushion the blow of their deaths, as nonetheless, I was very sad to see these two great characters go. Colin Creevey also died, which rubbed me the wrong way, remembering how excited and happy he was when he saw Harry Potter. He thought he could help, and then bam, a Death Eater killed him.

The ending was good. I just wished it lasted a little longer after Harry talked to Dumbledore. Perhaps Harry could have gone down and thanked everybody, expressed his sorrow, raise a toast to all those who died in the long lasting war. Then he and Hermione could tend to their romantic mates, comforting them over the loss of Fred. But the story only stops after they talked to Dumbledore. The book really hits you when it says, 'Nineteen years later.'
We see that Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione had married and had conceived children. Ginny and Harry have three children while Ron and Hermione had two. I suppose it's up to the reader to imagine what went on during the past nineteen years. The funeral of all those people who died, Harry and Ginny's wedding, Ron and Hermione's wedding, each having Ron or Harry being best man, the conceiving, the pregnancy, who died in the past years, what happened to George, stuff like that.

As I said before, this book was a lot to take in in two days. After reading, I felt rather... empty I guess. I was still sad over the deaths of those characters we all adored. But that's what JK gotta do.

In all, this book and series was excellent. I look forward to when JK has another idea to fall on her. Who knows? Maybe she will even create something that could rival her own Harry Potter.

I applaud the entire series of Harry Potter, for it made me a bookworm.

-Goblet

Just so you guys know, you don't have to prepare any long responses. Just say what you feel and review the book a little if you want.
I am a dog.

Naroto Mashima

Well, Gob, you covered everything I was to say. And a little more. But the only thing I wondered about, which is a very tiny detail, is what happened to Mad-Eye's Eye after Harry put it in the woods. He never took it out, so I presume it is still there, correct?
Al is back on HPFF.

Neville all the way!

Devon_McGonagall

Love Me
Hate Me
You'll Never
Forget Me!

goblet_fulla_fire

Quote from: Naroto Mashima on July 24, 2007, 02:19:13 AM
Well, Gob, you covered everything I was to say. And a little more. But the only thing I wondered about, which is a very tiny detail, is what happened to Mad-Eye's Eye after Harry put it in the woods. He never took it out, so I presume it is still there, correct?
Most likely. I don't think anyone has any reason to look for it. I almost thought that there would be a reason to go back for it later since Harry marked it. But I guess not.
I am a dog.

cho chang

first of all, i was kinda amused that Harry started using Unforgivable curses, even more so when McGonagall used the Imperius curse. I know it's a war, but it's still funny to see the "good guys" use those spells.
Most of all though, this book has made Severus Snape my favorite character. I infinitely prefer him to the bully toerag James, and I thought Lily should've married him instead. Losing him was like losing someone I knew. None of the other deaths in the books hit me as much as him, because nobody in the book suffered as much as he did. "Prince's Tale" was the saddest chapter of my life.
I don't like Dumbledore as much as I use to, not because of the things he did as a teenager, but because he was so cold to Snape.
"Look...at...me..." is the saddest line ever.
'music, a magic beyond all we do here!' - Albus Dumbledore
.:Cho Chang:.

Jack Chance

lol goblet...yeah it ends with..."well"...haha... yeahhh...but i really didn't expect an epilogue; i kinda was thinking that the series would be like some story a much older Harry or someone else in a later time would be telling children on a library or something, haha...

On a sadder note, tho, I feel so sorry for JKR for making Molly Weasley swear IN UPPERCASE XD

yeah...and now I have this disgusting sight of Dumbledore in his tomb naked and exposed ewww....gross...I just wonder if WB is gonna try and have this scene done in the movie. hahaha

btw...I still didn't get to watch OoP :[ i'm totally bummed outta my mind... oh well, I'll just wait till it reaches dvd or something haha.

Well, now that the series is most likely done, my quest is to own all 7 books in hardcover, paperback, and the adult versions, with all books in different languages and yeah.  But yeah...it'll be expensive... yikes.

hehe...oh! btw, I think I missed this one, but who the heck is this Rose person in the epilogue??? who's kid is this?
t(-.-t)

Future Miss. Potter

I feel kind of emty. I thouth there will be more. It took me 2 day to read it. Man I want to read it againg but in spanish, so I can see its difference. I hope you guys liked it. I did, kind of. Im going to miss Harry.
Plus for those who already read it, I new ROMULUS and his wife would die, if you get the picture, but they were my favorite characters.
And I new Sn... was good all the time... someone in this web page said he was in love with Evans... she or he was right.
Im writing like this in SOME kind of code for those frinds haven finish the book yet, but those who have finish they know what im talking about.

Future Miss. Potter

goblet_fulla_fire

I am a dog.

Wow, Goblet, you've got a nice long opinion.

Personally, I think the part about feeling empty after finishing the book should hold true for every fan. That's how I felt, when I finished the book, and realised that I wouldn't be reading any more new Harry Potter books, at least for a very long time.

As for the suspense, I think every Harry Potter book had provided the same kind of unpredictablility... It's all so confusing until it's read the second time.

Regarding the deaths, I do feel that's it's quite sad that so many people had to die. I had braced myself for a good many deaths, but it's still rather emotional to actually see it all happening.

Oh, and Jack Chance was talking about Molly swearing in uppercase... That was just so cool! ;D

And Snape! I had instinctively felt, all along that he was good. Great. My feelings have been justified.

Personally, I find the epilogue rather short. I would have liked it if it was longer... If it covered what happened to all the characters (ie All the Weasleys) and what Harry's been doing for the 19 years...

Quote from: goblet_fulla_fire on July 24, 2007, 10:52:53 AM
As Victoire is Bill and Fluer's daughter.  ;D

Wait a minute... I don't remember hearing that anywhere.

goblet_fulla_fire

Quote from: 0612 on July 24, 2007, 03:16:59 PM

Quote from: goblet_fulla_fire on July 24, 2007, 10:52:53 AM
As Victoire is Bill and Fluer's daughter.  ;D

Wait a minute... I don't remember hearing that anywhere.
I just feel strongly that she is. I don't think that JK just put an anonymous name in there for no reason.
I am a dog.

ChoChangHP118

haha i like that name....lol

i absolutly loved snape's memory's! i'm glad that james and lily ended up together instead of snape cuz snape didn't have a problem with calling people m**blood. and that would've been a problem.
Quote from: cho chang on July 24, 2007, 05:13:22 AM
i was kinda amused that Harry started using Unforgivable curses

"Look...at...me..." is the saddest line ever.

i thought it was weird how harry was using those curses! it didn't seem like him.

and what part is the look at me?
in my opinion, which should be highly prized lol, the saddest part was this:

"but this is touching, severus," said dumbledore seriously. "have you grown to care for the boy after all?"
"for him?" shouted snape. "expecto patronum!"
from the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: she landed on the office floor, bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window. dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"after all this time?"
"always." said snap.

i loved that!

and i also thought this was amazing:
the forest again is the chapter and he's talking to his parents and friends.:

a chilly breeze that seemed to emanate from the heart of the forest lifters the hair at harry's brow. he knew that they would not tell him to go, that it would have to be his decision.
"you'll stay with me?"
"until the very end," said james.

that made me cry!
"You beleive that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that-and shudder."

-James 2:19

heyyy. greeeeeeat post in the court one!! -Ginny (A Classic just complimented me!)

cho chang

but in later memories
Quote from: ChoChangHP118 on July 25, 2007, 10:19:50 AM

i absolutly loved snape's memory's! i'm glad that james and lily ended up together instead of snape cuz snape didn't have a problem with calling people m**blood. and that would've been a problem.

But in a later memory, when Phineas said "mudblood", Snape was like, "Do not use that word!"
This makes me think that ever after that incident of calling Lily a mudblood and then losing her, Snape never ever used that word again. I wish with all my heart that Snape and Lily was together. She didn't want to marry him 'cause of his associations with the Dark Arts, right? But now that he's given up the Dark Arts for her, and did everything he could to help her son, Lily should ditch James in the afterlife and marry Snape ;D
'music, a magic beyond all we do here!' - Albus Dumbledore
.:Cho Chang:.

Devon_McGonagall

All i gotta say is "GO KREACHER....." LOL

but they didnt tell us who Draco's wife is, only that it was him and his wife and his son(who was a spitting image of Draco) known as Scorpius.....what a wierd name.
Love Me
Hate Me
You'll Never
Forget Me!

uNoPoh

Snape was on the good side - I strongly supposed that.
And I'm very glad to know the reason, Dumbledore trustet him. And it really was, that Snape was in Love with Lily ... well well well that all makes sense.

So Harry had not to kill anybody in the end, not even Voldemort - I saw this coming, but to me its just a bit .. Well I don't know, what do you think - they duell Death eaters through and through in this book, and each Death eater tries to kill and all they do ist stunn and stupefy and things like that...
I hoped for a little more violence from the good side, but after all it started as a book for children and so thats OK i guess.

Well anyway was very thrilled about the unpredictable turns in the story. And everything fitting with the hints in the previous books - I really enjoyed reading.

Only the epilog... that were just too many names on too few pages.
Everybody has the right to be stupid
and it has come to my attention that you are abusing your privileges!