News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

The Golden Compass!

Started by fudge0604, January 5, 2008, 01:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobby888

Haha! No Ginny that is not one of the commandments.

~Harry Potter~

I am with Ginny on this.  I havn't read the book yet, but that isn't because of what the Church says.  I really believe that you should read the book yourself before making any decision.  Read the book once, and if you don't like it, never read it again.  I believe that you should never condem a book before you read it youself.  Didn't they do the same thing with Harry Potter saying that it woudl all turn us into Devil Worshiping Pagans...

Though I am a Wiccan now <.< Though I sware it had nothing to do with Harry Potter.
They say trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if its broke
But you can still see the crack in your reflection

kira

ChoChangHP118

Quote from: Ginny Weasly on January 11, 2008, 07:26:52 PM
I'm sorry, but you'll have to remind me of the Ten Commandments....

I don't think "Thou shalt not read The Golden Compass" is one of them.
I really wouldn't know, I'm not particulary religious...

Understand I am not trying to start a religious fight. Goodness knows we have enough of those, I really am curious as to which of the Ten Commandments refer to reading books that might be anti-church.

I agree we do have to many religious fights but what I just wanted to mention the first commandment: You shall have no other gods before me. In a round-about way this book can go against this commandment because some people believe that to read a book or do something against there religion would be denying God and not showing there faith. Many religions simply chose not to read or watch the Golden Compass because it would be against God which would be against the first commandment.

I myself do not plan to read The Golden Compass and my church has stressed there opinions on this matter but no I agree that people shouldn't be told not to read a book or not but the church's do have a point in trying to convince them not to read it or see the movie.
"You beleive that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that-and shudder."

-James 2:19

heyyy. greeeeeeat post in the court one!! -Ginny (A Classic just complimented me!)

Ginny Weasly

Quote from: ChoChangHP118 on January 22, 2008, 06:55:35 AM
Quote from: Ginny Weasly on January 11, 2008, 07:26:52 PM
I'm sorry, but you'll have to remind me of the Ten Commandments....

I don't think "Thou shalt not read The Golden Compass" is one of them.
I really wouldn't know, I'm not particulary religious...

Understand I am not trying to start a religious fight. Goodness knows we have enough of those, I really am curious as to which of the Ten Commandments refer to reading books that might be anti-church.

I agree we do have to many religious fights but what I just wanted to mention the first commandment: You shall have no other gods before me. In a round-about way this book can go against this commandment because some people believe that to read a book or do something against there religion would be denying God and not showing there faith. Many religions simply chose not to read or watch the Golden Compass because it would be against God which would be against the first commandment.

I myself do not plan to read The Golden Compass and my church has stressed there opinions on this matter but no I agree that people shouldn't be told not to read a book or not but the church's do have a point in trying to convince them not to read it or see the movie.

By giving me a detailed explanation and backing up your theory with reason, you have made sure this won't be a fight, but rather a discussion if we let it continue. But I have little to say on the subject. It's not my prerogative to change other peoples beliefs.

I didn't know that was the First Commandment. Thank you for telling me so.
Then I can understand the Church's point of view...to a point. ((Ha ha, I made fun of myself.))
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

fudge0604

ah! Now I know. Just a question. Is the ten commandments the ones that Moses got from God?
Because I thought that that were some catholic thing. But if so then we have the ten commandments here in Norway too. ( That maybe heard a bit dumb but.....)

Post Potter depression.

dobby888

Yes the Ten Commandments are what Moses received from God. 

I do believe that you make a good point (Sirius and Ginny), but if I read the Golden Compass, I am not changing my views on the Church, but rather (in a way) seeing someone else's point of view.

cody

i think the book sounds interesting, but i dont like the god part! maybe some day ill read it.
Its all fun & games till someone gets hurt...then its hilarious

dobby888

You should most definitley read it, and when you do, you should approach it with an open mind.

uglycupcakes

Quote from: ~Harry Potter~ on January 22, 2008, 06:11:45 AM
I am with Ginny on this.  I havn't read the book yet, but that isn't because of what the Church says.  I really believe that you should read the book yourself before making any decision.  Read the book once, and if you don't like it, never read it again.  I believe that you should never condem a book before you read it youself.  Didn't they do the same thing with Harry Potter saying that it woudl all turn us into Devil Worshiping Pagans...

Though I am a Wiccan now <.< Though I sware it had nothing to do with Harry Potter.

I am very uhh... idk what the word is but i have nooo idea what i Wiccan is.. would somebody plz explain?!?!

dobby888

Yes please explain... what is a Wiccan??