News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

.what's in a [name]?

Started by Ginny Weasly, September 15, 2008, 09:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginny Weasly

Cody looked at Stacey with his blue eyes, eyes that imitated ice perfectly. Only people in his family had eyes like his, only people in his father's family. He blinked a few times.

The meaning of her name?

"Resurrection." he told her, frowning. What did that have to do with anything?
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

LavyBrown

Lavy sighed at sat up straight, "And I'm named after a flower, but I wouldn't really ever be described as soft or gentle. Names do not always forsee something in a person's life. In fact in my experience, more often then not, people all short of their names." 
Don't do it behind the garden gate, love is blind but the neighbours ain't!
Can I get your picture? I collect nature disasters.
Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried to slam a revolving door.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age

Ginny Weasly

"I would describe you as such." Cody blinked at Lavy.

"Just as I would describe my mother as a maiden, white, fair, and blessed." He pushed himself up, pulling leaves closer to him. He began to systematically crush them into dust as he spoke.

"Names have more of an impact than people wish to disclose. People don't want to think that they have no free will."
My motivation

My dedication
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

LavyBrown

Lavy couldn't belive she was about to argue with a four year old but she was, "But what if my parents had decided to name me something different?"

Ginny Weasly

Cody closed his eyes, "Then your fate would have changed course, wouldn't it?" He held his hands around the small pile of dust that had been leaves and furrowed his brow.

"But the fact of the matter is your parents did name you Lavender. You became who you are, and the fact of the matter is your name reflects your personality. Despite what you'd wish to believe."
He pulled his hands away, and from the dust poked a small green sprout. The beginning of a new tree.

That alone was amazing. The create life, even plant life, was complicated magic. It took immense concentration. To have done the magic while discussing something utterly different, was even more amazing.
My motivation

My dedication
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

LavyBrown

Lavy reached out behind her and moved some of the dirt. She took the little plant fro Cody and put in in the little hole. She covered it with the dirt she had moved.

"Well if that's what you think Cody then I can't change your mind, little one," She tapped the earth where the newly sprouted seed was and it grew a few more inches, "But I know plenty of people who don't live up to their names."

potter_fan122

"Names can very much so change the way you live. If you had been named anything else, you wouldn`t be you. I have studied the meaning of names for a long time." Stacey said. "But names are very complicated things."
"Get out of my way! I'm a free spirit!"
FOREVER WILL NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.
"And now I understand a phrase I once thought odd;
I guess to love another person is to see the face of God."

LavyBrown

Lavy actually laughed, "Look, I know you two think that's true but I'm sorry to say it's just not. People might fall into the meaning of their names but that does not mean they will. In fact Adolf mean hero, but Hitler can never be seen as a hero. Destiny is what you make of it. We all have fre will here. If I decided that I would go kill a small contry I could. That's the farthest thing from my name."

potter_fan122

"Names cannot make your destiny, only you can decide that. But youur name is who you are, and if forms a special meaning to you." Stacey said lightly. "Take my name for example. Stacey. It can mean a nmber of different things. It can mean resurrection. Anastasia is a basic translation, meaning she who will rise again" She said, nodding towards Cody. "But it can also mean beauty, elegance, fear, and power. It all depends on how you live. But your name does shape who you become."
"Get out of my way! I'm a free spirit!"
FOREVER WILL NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.
"And now I understand a phrase I once thought odd;
I guess to love another person is to see the face of God."

Ginny Weasly

Cody smiled at Lavy, "Despite what she says, the fact of the matter remains. We are who we are now, forget the what ifs. What matters is that it happened the way it did happen, and believe it or not we are a reflection of our names." He blinked, "And at the time of Hitler's life, to many German's, he was a hero."

"Your name helps shape you," He corrected Stacey, nodding slowly. "The main question here is, do we really have free will? Or is their some greater pattern to which we are all sewn into?" He frowned, "One of the oldest debates there ever has been."
My motivation

My dedication
I carry out my orders
With not a regret