News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

So Many Questions and Not Enough Answers

Started by potter_fan122, August 6, 2009, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter_fan122

Part Ten

The house was silent--eerily silent--and I paused, listening. I could hear a heartbeat, but it could have been Aiden`s. I closed her eyes and listened harder, searching for another noise. Another hint of life. This was it`s own type of magic, but not the kind of witches and wizards. No, this was the lost magic that so many people had lost touch with. Every human being had magic, but they had to listen to it.

I led Aiden through the house with my eyes closed. I knew where not to walk in order not to run into anything, I`d lived her my whole life, after all. I wandered through the house with Aiden behind be until I got to the room of windows with the piano. James was there, staring out into his own little world.

James turned around, having heard the two enter.
"I wasn`t expecting you this soon." He said with his deep and chilling voice.

I narrowed her eyes. "And yet you knew that we were here." I replied sharply. "Maybe we should go to the living room." James nodded, his brown hair hiding his eyes. He moved past us and walked to the living room, seating himself in the overstuffed armchair, leaving me and Aiden with the couch.

I sat down, pulling Aiden with me. I looked at him, asking him silently if he wanted to stay. He nodded in reply. I knew that he would leave if I wanted him to. A small part of me felt that what my father had to say was for my ears only, but the other, bigger, part of me wanted him here. Aiden had a right to know what was going on. I didn`t want to admit that I wanted him there to comfort me, too.

I looked down at our hands and took a deep breath. I slowly pulled the dagger out and lifted it for my father to see to see, the engraved side facing him.
"Jonathan said to give this to you." I said softly but clearly.

James stood up, his eyes set on the sharp knife. "Where did you get that?" He demanded.

I jutted my jaw out defiantly. "Like I said, Jonathan said to give it to you. He came to me by way of the dreams. He caused the voices in my head. He caused all of my mental problems." I said, her eyes growing a little red.

James stood gracefully and took the knife from my grip. "D*mn." He whispered, looking the knife over, only breifly scanning the engraved Ouroboros.

"What?" It was my turn to demand an answer. My father looked between me and the knife., his eyes full of anger and something else that I couldn`t figure out. His reaction wasn`t what I had hoped it would be.

Finally he sighed and set the knife on the floor in front of me, making sure that the dull side hit the carpet before the sharp side did.

"Jonathan is my brother, your uncle." I could tell that he was saying something that he had long kept to himself. "And I`m guessing by now that he has put many questions in your mind. Who is he? Where did he come from?" He paused, and I noticed that he left out another question:

Why didn`t I know this before?

"Get out of my way! I'm a free spirit!"
FOREVER WILL NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.
"And now I understand a phrase I once thought odd;
I guess to love another person is to see the face of God."

Miss Xantier

potter_fan122

(cont.)

"And?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I tried to keep the tone a near hysteria out of my voice, but I`m not sure if he caught it or not.

Aparantly he did.

My father sighed heavily and ran his hands through his hair. "I didn`t want you to know." He siad simply. "I was going to tell you, but you`re life got so full and complicated. I thought that telling you would ruin it, so I never did. I almost did, too. When you told me that you were getting married." His eyes flickered to Aiden. "But again, I didn`t. You were so happy." He looked down to the floor, obviously feeling defeated.

I, too, looked at the ground. At the sharp knife at my feet. What did this one blade represent? How many had it killed?

"What-- what are you?" I asked, my voice now very shaky and threatening to break. "What are you? Some kind of... spirit, or something?" A tear fell down my cheek and onto my lap, but I managed to hold them back. I never liked crying in front of him, and I wasn`t going to now.

James shook his head. "No, I am immortal. I`ve lived forever, and I will live forever until someone decides to kill me." He said it all in a monotone voice, not looking at me. I was stunned, and couldn`t move. I couldn`t think. What had he just said? Did I hear them correctly? Did he say that he was immortal? How could that be? How could he not tell me this after seventeen years? After so much, he was telling me this now?

I was staring at the floor, tears in my blood-red eyes. I was squeezing Aiden`s hand tightly, so tightly that my knuckles were white. I leaned over and rested my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes to keep from crying. I was so confused. I couldn`t understand what my father had said, but I did know that it was bad. Aiden took a brief look down at the knife, and probably the symbol on the handle.

"It'll be okay."  He whispered in my ear, only loud enough for me to hear.

I let go of his hand and wrapped it over his stomach, shaking my head back and forth slowly. How could my own father have kept something like this from me? This was something vital, something about who I was. It said so much about who I was, about why my powers were developed the way they did.

James looked at the knife, strong distaste clear in his features. I had always found him hard to read, but he wasn`t hiding anything now.
"I`ll leave you two alone for a while. I`ll be back in a few minutes." He said softly, then left.

potter_fan122

Part Eleven

I saw Aiden watched my dad leave, grateful that he gave the two of them a moment alone to talk. I could tell that Aiden was also thinking about what he would say to me. He took one quick glance at the knife before looking back at the wall.

"Love, are you okay?"  He whispered, resting his hand on my shoulder.

I opened my eyes and nodded. I was fighting against the tears and wiped my eyes from the ones that hadn`t spilled over yet.
"I`m fine, I just... I just don`t understand how he didn`t tell me this before. About everything. I mean, if Jonathan always seemed to be a threat, then he should have told me." I wasn`t really upset, just angry and confused. Frustrated. I suppose I had the right to be angry. I mean, finding out that what I thought was my own father turned out to be a big lie, that would take a toll on anyone.

Aiden pulled me closer and hugged me against his chest. I could tell that he was thinking hard, trying to say the right thing.

"He must have a reason why he kept it from you."  He said quietly.

I nodded, but I wasn`t able to keep the red from coloring my irises.
"I know, but still. He... Jonathan could have killed me numerous times. Now or when I was younger. The voices have taken me over before, and not even Ginny knew that it was a live person causing it. He had every opportunity to take me over." I replied angrily.

Aiden nodded; maybe he understood my fear. Jonathan was attacking him by hurting those closest to him, me.  That alone probably made him to want him dead.

Aiden hugged me gently, but leaned back after a moment to look into my eyes.
"He must be waiting for something."  He pointed out, pausing to take a breath and to think for a few seconds. "We have to find what he's waiting for."

I looked up to meet Aiden`s eyes.
"I know, but nothing makes sense. He doesn`t seem to want anything in particular, he justs wants to... I don`t know, hurt me. Maybe its my dad he`s after." My eyes moved to the doorway my father had left through.

"I just don`t know."

Aiden lifted his head slowly and looked at the wall, his eyes getting distant as he tried to think of an explanation. He looked like he was thinking hard about something, but I didn`t exactly care. I was starting to get a headache, probbaly from lack of sleep and stress.

"Maybe if you spoke to your father...try to find out what happened with him and your dad. Perhaps  if you knew more about what happened it would explain more." He suggested.

I took a deep breath and nodded. It wasn`t a bad idea, really, but I didn`t exactly want to talk to my father right now. As if on cue, he walked back into the room.

"Jonathan is your uncle." He said firmly. "And that`s something I`m ashamed of, but he is bad, and he will do whatever it takes to get what he wants." He looked down to the dagger, still on the floor.

"The Ouroboros mean immortality." He explained as he started to unbutton his shirt. "Life, and renewed death. Power." He had gotten the shirt off, and turned around.  He had a large tatoo across his back. It was a blue dragon that was shaped in a circle, looking like it was eating its own tail. "Jonathan`s is red. You can guess why." He said sternly, pulling his shirt back on.

I looked at the tattoo on my father`s back, and saw that it was identical to the symbol on the dagger.  Aiden was staring long and hard at the dagger, maybe he was thinking about the symbol, but again, I didn`t know. Aiden suddenly cleared his throat, his eyes curious.

"Is that your dagger?" He asked, looking a little shy.

James lifted his eyes to meet Aiden`s and shook his head slowly.
"No. It is Jonathan`s, but it has done many bad things to many good people. It`s blade is sharper than any other, and I`m sure you found that out." He looked at me, and I nodded, not wanting to speak.

"He wants something, obviously, but I don`t know what it is, and I`m guessing you two don`t either." He added.

Aiden shook his head, even if the question wasn't pointing directly at him.  He leaned forward, resting his elbow against his knee as his expression changed. 

He stared at the wall, obviously thinking.
"Would you have any idea what that would be?"  He asked softly, meeting my father`s eyes. I mentally aplauded him. It was hard to stand up to my father; he had a very commanding presence, and dominant. He always told me that it was partially because he was a wolf Animagus, but he brought back the ancient, burried instinct of survival out of people. I could understand why, and I began to wonder if he really was an Animagus.

I ground my teeth and looked down at the dagger. It`s blade shined in the natural light of the room. I wanted to destroy it. Not only was it proof that Jonathan exsisted, but it had belonged to him and had killed people. If I knew it would melt, I would have right then and there, but for some reason I knew that it would be very, very hard to destroy that deadly knife.

Alexis

If The World Was Coming To An End...
   I'd Rather Stay Blindfolded Than Open My Eyes...

potter_fan122

Part Twelve:

James sighed and ran his hand through his brown hair.
"I have no idea. I haven`t talked to Jonathan for about three hundred years, and we weren`t on such great terms then, not now, either." His met Aiden`s eyes with a soft stare, and I think I was the only one who knew that his gaze looked a little too dominant to really be friendly. I would never admit it, but I felt angry at my father just then. He had no right to claim me, especially not now.

I looked between them, hiding my anger. How careful both of them acted. My father seemed to be so careful not to intimidate Aiden, who seemed to be... remote. He looked like he was trying to seem blank. Was he trying to hide something from me? Anger? He had always seemed to guard me from bad things, although I`m sure I`ve seen worse than he has.

Aiden pressed his lips together into a straight line, his eyes curious yet his face was obviously looking as if he was thinking hard about something. Normally I would have laughed at his expression-- it was just funny to see him concentrating so hard-- but this was no time to burst out laughing.

He stared at the knife that was on the ground, then leaned forward, and picked it up in his hand. He fingers wrapped around it tightly, and looked up and down the handle, looking at it as if it would give him some sort of clue or answer.

I carefully took the knife from Aiden, holding the blade with two expert fingers. I had handled knives for years now.

"The Ouroboros, does it mean anything special to him? You said his tatoo was red, and that means that`s he`s fire. Fire symbolizes evil." I stared off into nothing as I thought. "If he`s evil, his plan would be complicated, because he would have thought about it a long time to make sure it was perfect. The plan will go perfectly, unless we do something unexpected." I looked up to her father. He seemed so ancient, as if I could see through his facade now that I kenw the secret. Aiden turned to look at James as I asked him the question. He turned to stare at the knife now and tilted his head gently to the side.

My father nodded again.
"Yes, the fire represents evil, when it comes to him. I`m guessing that you inherited your gift from him. In your case, of course, fire means rebirth and renew." He explained. "My main gift is water and life, which is why my Ouroboros is blue. And before you can ask, I`ve already checked your chromosomes, you won`t live forever." He said.

I couldn`t think right. My mind became a jumble. I ran his words through my mind until they just mixed together.
"What?" I asked. "Live forever?" My voice would clearly state that I was freaking out, but anyone who knew me would know that I hadn`t taken that well.

"Yes, Stacey. I wil live forever, until someone kills me. Unfortunatly, it is the same for Jonathan." His words seemed slow, so slow. Again, I had trouble understanding him. I just couldn`t picture my father as someone who would live for the rest of eternity.

Alexis

If The World Was Coming To An End...
   I'd Rather Stay Blindfolded Than Open My Eyes...

potter_fan122

Part Thirteen:

Aiden reached out, and took my hand. He scooped it up and wrapped his other hand around mine. His skin was warm compared to mine; I felt like I was freezing. He looked at James, looking like he was thinking really hard. He blinked a few times before clearing his throat.

"Do you know how to kill him?"  He asked softly.

James squared his jaw for a moment, thinking. Only I was able to see that he was debating on telling the truth or not. There was no way the Aiden would be able to see it, but a small part of me hoped he would. I could tell that they were being careful with each other and I didn`t like it.

"Yes, I know how you can kill him. You have to decapitate, then burn the body and freeze the head. After that, anything can happen to the remains, but there will be no more. The fire prevents the body from reuniting itself with the head, and freezing the head kills the brain." He explained quickly and softly. I could see that he was uncomfortable with this, but I needed the information.

Suddenly I wondered just how old he really was. He hadn`t really said, just that he was really, really old. I was mad at him for keeping this secret from me. angry because he had never explained any of it.

Aiden's eyes fell, and he frowned. His expression showed that he obviously wasn't pleased with that answer. Then he sighed, and balled one of his hands in a fist. I couldn`t tell if he was angry, or just frustrated.

"Is there name...for your kind?"  He asked awkwardly, looking up to James again.

James shook his head. "We have no specific name. Humans don`t know about us, and therefor don`t have a name for us. But we call ourselves the Immortals. There is no other word that can describe what we are. No words for your languages can say it right, and that says a lot, because you have a very specific language." He tried to smile, but it turned into a grimace.

I squeezed Aiden`s hand, and not gently. I didn`t notice it, nor did I notice my eyes change grey-red. How could he have kept something like this from me for this long? This was imprtant. Something like this described who I was.

Aiden looked at the ground, and then at the dagger that I held in my other hand. His face showed a curious surpise.
"Then what does that make Stacey?" 

I tensed, my teeth clenching tightly until it hurt. D*mn. I didn`t want to hear the answer to this question. I didn`t want to hear those secrets that had been kept from me so unfairly.

James was quiet for a moment, his eyes on me. He could see that I was tense, and that I was angry with him. He should expect it, how could he not?

"She is half-Immortal. When you live forever... things happen." He explained quietly, lowering his eyes to the floor in a submissive way. Aiden probably wouldn`t see it, but I did. It meant that he was sorry. The wolf had been his Animagus form, and had often raised me by the ways of the wolf. He was sorry and ashamed, so much that he couldn`t put it into words. I nodded and slowly relaxed my hold on Aiden`s hand. I also turned the knife in my other hand, and dropped it safely to the floor.

"Wait, you can`t be an Animagus? Can you?" I asked suddenly.

"No," He replied, "I am also a shape-shifter. That`s another reason why humans can`t tell us apart. We can age ourselves if we want to. And we have a chosen animal form. Mine is the wolf."

I nodded, looking down at the knife. This was a lot to take in, and I wanted to make sure I understood.
"I want to take him downstairs." I said softly, looking from the knife to the man I had trusted for seventeen long years. "We need to, if this is going to continue."

James just nodded in reply.

Aiden turned his head, watching me carefully. He seemed to be waiting for me to get angry or sad, but nothing yet. He swallowed and took a deep breath.

My husband lifted his eyes, scanning them across the room to James, me, then the knife that now layed delicatley on the floor. His eyes were full of so many questions, but he didn`t ask any of them. Aiden layed his other hands over mine, looking at me expecantly. My heart throbbed and I squeezed his hand. I wanted to make that crease between his eyes go away. I wanted to make him smile and laugh. But that didn`t seem quite possible right now.

I looked to Aiden, my eyes felt like a solid wall that let no emmotion through. I nodded to him and stood up, bringing him with me. I led him away from the room and down two different halls. I stopped at a door that stood alone at the end of the last hall. There was a number pad on the wal beside it, and I punched in a series of numbers.

The door opened with a low click and I pushed it open with a burst of chilly air. A long line of stairs were visible, and everything was black except for the small footlights near the floor, giving only enough light to see where you were going.

I squeezed Aiden`s hand, biting my lip, and shook my head slowly.

Aiden followed me, keeping up with her rather quick pace. His eyes scanned the hall questioninly, having never seen this area of the house. He turned his eyes towards mine.

"Where are we going?"  He asked quietly.

I sniffled, holding back the wave of tears that now threatened to burst out.
"To the basement. If Jonathan is going to keep coming to me, I want to be armed." I explained softly, keeping my eyes on the stairs in front of me. The little lights near the floor weren`t much light, and I hadn`t been down there that often.

potter_fan122

Part Fourteen:

Aiden followed me down the stairs and into the basement. His head was just barely tilted to one side as his curious eyes looked around him.
"Armed?"  He questioned.  "Should I get something more, too?" I had already given him one of my guns. He had that tucked through his belt loops.

I nodded, suddenly stopping. There was a door in front of me and another keypad beside it. I punched in another number, and the door clicked like the other one. A burst of cold, clean air burst out as I pushed it open.

The room was large and round with little pads mounted on the wall every now and then. There was a panel on the wall, and Stacey walked over to it. She pushed a few buttons, and flourescent lights switched on with a soft hum. There were glass cases everywhere, with drawers under them. There were also daggers and machetes behind thick glass, looking deadly in the bright lights. I was still holding back tears, but I had it controled. I was just hoping Aiden wouldn`t notice.

Aiden looked around the room, probably amazed at how a normal looking house like the Black's could secretly be hiding such things as knives, guns, and machetes.  It was fascinating but at the same time intimidating.

His eyes locked on mine. Aiden slowly stepped closer to me, and wrapped his arms around me. He rested his head on top of mine and I closed my eyes, leaning closer to him.

"What are you thinking?"  He whispered in my ear.

I took a shaky breath and wrapped my arms around his waist. What was he thinking?

"I don`t know, my moon. I`m confused and angry, but I`m sad and frustrated." I shook my head. There was too much going on in my head. "How is this... possible?" I asked, a sob breaking through my voice.

Aiden held me against his strong frame, holding me close. Maybe he knew that I was comforted when he did that and knew that he would protect me against anything. As if that were possible. He closed his eyes slowly, and took in a breath.

Aiden shook his head slowly. I knew that he wanted some way to fix this, but knew that this wasn't something he could control, no matter how badly he wanted to.
"I know.  I know."  He started slowly. "But are you okay?"  Aiden asked, his voice urgent.

I thought about that. Was I okay? I wasn`t physically hurt. I wasn`t going to be crippled in any way. Really, I was fine.
"I guess." I said as she sniffled. I squeezed Aiden tightly before taking a step back. He had always been there for me, always there to comfort me.

"Can you shoot a Glock?" I asked suddenly, stripping off my shirt to reveal a black tank top and my sheathed knives. The sheaths were tight against my skin and held my many knives in perfect positions for use.

Aiden looked down the tank top and my arms, staring at the knives with a thoughtful expression. His eyes finally reached mine, realizing I was asking him a question.

"I'm sure I can manage." He replied in a hard, serious tone. He swallowed, and cleared his throat. I think he still had so many questions roaming in his mind.
"Are you giving me another gun?"  Aiden asked as he finally spoke.

I looked down at the ground, no expression showing through my eyes. I kicked myself mentally. I shouldn`t be treating him this way. He did nothing wrong. He was trying to help me. But I was just... in shock. I couldn`t act differently, and I hated myself for it.

"Yes, and you`ll have to learn how to shoot it right." I looked up to meet my husband`s eyes. "If he`s coming after me, he`s sure as hell not going to leave you alone." I said, quickly pulling off my jeans. The tight sheaths of my lower-body knives didn`t move a centimeter, secure in their spots. just like this, anyone could see that I had at least a dozen knives on me. I had started to carry more weapons recently, only have carried a couple before things started getting bad.

"Take this." I had turned towards a glass cabinet and punched a few more buttons. It clicked and popped open. I removed the wicked-looking gun and handed it out carefully to Aiden. I opened the drawer under it and pulled out a handful of new magazines, also tossing those to him. "Be careful with that. It`s not as safe as some of the other ones are. If you accidently pull the trigger, it`ll shoot. And it`s not a light gun."

Aiden held his hand out, and took the gun slowly in his palm. He looked at the black gun, knowing this small peice of metal could be lethal. I wondered if he had ever seen the effects a heavy gun could make.

Aiden took in a long deep breath, and sighed. His eyes weren't dark, but a medium brown. However, it probably wouldn't be long before they changed. The mood around them would be sure of that.

"Don't worry about me, I can handle myself.  It's you I'm worried about."  Aiden said slowly, knowing I would probably disagree.

I stood there, looking down at the floor, a small gun in hand. My bottom lip trembled, and I looked away and blinked, trying to clear them. I stepped closer to Aiden again took his hand. It was a moment before I spoke.

"What happened to your parents, my moon?" I asked in a soft, shaky voice. I traced the lines of his palm with a fingertip, trying not to cry. I felt as if the world was on my shoulders, and I was crumbling under the weight. I didn`t want Aiden to worry about me, but I wasn`t going to lie to him and say that I was fine when I so clearly wasn`t.

Aiden blinked, surprised by the question. I had never really asked him about his parents. He always promised that would tell me, and I had never asked him about it because I could tell that it was a difficult subject, but the question still obviously took him off guard.

He put the gun behind him through his belt. He used his now free hand, and took my other hand in his own. His eyes strayed to the floor, finding it difficult to look up.
"They died in a car wreck."  He said simply, his voice almost sounding angry.

I squeezed Aiden`s hands and hugged him tightly.
"I`m sorry." I apologized. "I just... I don`t know. I guess I just wanted to know. I`m sorry for asking." I whispered, burrying my face in his chest.

Aiden wrapped both of his arms slowly around me and rested his cheek against the top of my head, and closed his eyes. He took in a deep, slow breath. He gripped his eyes shut tight, and swallowed the lump in his throat.

"It's okay."  He reassured her quietly before he paused. "I should've told you more earlier.  It's just...It made me a wreck, you have no idea.  I wanted to do some things, I had ideas..."  Aiden said, unsure.

I squeezed Aiden tigtly.

"Don`t think about it anymore, my moon. You can`t think about that now, not with me here." I whispered. A tear ran down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. "I`m sorry. I really am." I added. And I was. I had no right to ask him that, and I don`t even know why I did.

"You said you were worried about me," I said, changing the subject. "I`m not going to tell you not to, because I know you will anyway. Just remember, I can take care of myself, but I need you with me." I leaned forward on her toes to kiss him gently. I didn`t mean to make him upset. I wanted him to be happy again, or at least as happy as he could get with the present situation.

Aiden kept his eyes closed tight. His kissed me back gently, and sighed again. He pressed his lips together in a straight line with a expression on his face as if he were thinking hard about something.

He opened his eyes slowly, which were black now. It wasn't until then he saw the tears running down my cheeks, and he used his thumb to catch one and wipe it away off my red cheek.

"I promise to be here, love.  I'll be here with you as long as you need me."

potter_fan122

Part Fifteen:

I slowly raised my hand until my palm was pressed against his cheek. I stared up into his eyes, mine just as black as Aiden`s.

"I know you will be." I sighed. "I know I can count on you. you`ll always be there for me, just like I`ll always be here for you." I replied, running my thumb along his cheekbone. I didn`t think that this was fair. He had always supported me through everything, and I didn`t feel like I gave him much in return. It made me feel selfish. I didn`t bring it up, though. He would just talk about how much I had changed him, but he didn`t know how much he had changed me.

Aiden looked into my eyes, seeming to see through them.  He was barely aware of how our eyes were the same dark colors, which meant that we were feeling the same way. He nodded slowly, lifting his hand to touch my arm while my hand rested softly on his cheek.

"I know."  He whispered as he blinked slowly.
"We can help each other through this."

I leaned forward and rested my head on his chest, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"I don`t know what I ever did before I found you." I whispered, closing my dark eyes. He felt unusually cold compared to me. Normally he was hot, but right now he felt almost the same. Maybe it was just the room, but a part of me doubted it.

Aiden scooted closer and hugged me close to him. He sighed, and moved his head so that he was breathing on my neck. He must have known that the soft pattern of his breath calmed me. When he held me close to him and his heart beat against mine, I felt peaceful.

After a long pause he finally broke the silence.
"I know my life was worthless until I met you." He whispered into my ear.

I couldn`t help but smile a little as he said that.
"You know, I was nothing until I found you. Just some girl who sat in the back of the class and never talked to anybody. You made me find out who I was." I replied softly.

I tilted her head just slightly to the side, letting Aiden`s breath run over my skin. I breathed in deeply, letting the smell of his skin wash over me.

Aiden stretched his face closer to mine and kissed my neck softly, but in a polite way that he probably hoped would comfort me. He leaned back a fraction of an inch, and kept his eyes tightly closed..

"You know I'll love you no matter how you are."  He pointed out, his voice slow and quiet.

I smiled, opening my eyes, which had lightened a little to a soft grey. I leaned forward on my toes and pressed my lips against his softly, returning his sweet kiss. I hoped he knew just how much he meant to me; it didn`t seem like I could ever tell him how much I loved him.

"And I`ll love you no matter what." I said softly just as the door was pushed open with another click. James appeared and closed the door quietly behind him.

"I thought you`d like to know something." He said, obviously ignoring how close Aiden and I were.

Aiden lifted his head as my father approached them. He took a step back, but kept his arm securely wrapped around my waist. I lifted my eyes to look at my father. I really didn`t want to see him right now, and he would know that. It must be something important for him to have come down to the basement when he knew how I would be feeling.

"Gold. It has the same effect that silver has to werewolves. You have silver-plated weapons, but not gold." He didn`t meet either Aiden`s nor my eyes, and just walked over to one side of the room. In one certain display case, there were two heavy-duty guns with three locked drawers under it. James ran his hand over the front of the top drawer and it pushed open open.

"I want you to take these, but be careful with them." He got out four boxes of bullets and magazines and two knives. The blades were silver, though. I looked up at my father with a questioning gaze. He had just told me that gold would harm an Immortal, and yet he was giving me more silver.

"White gold." He explained. "If you pulled out a gold knife, Jonathan would see the color and know. These aren`t so easy to notice."

I stepped forward and took the weapons in both hands. I handed two of the boxes and one of the knives to Aiden.
"Be careful with that." I mummured softly as I handed him one of the knives. "The blade is almost as sharp as the other one." By 'the other one' I meant the one with the Ouroboros engraved on it.

"You`ll want to get a few sheaths, so it doesn`t cut you." I added. No one seemed didn`t even seem to notice or care that I was standing there in nothing but a rather small tank top and not-very-long shorts, along with my weapon sheaths that were strapped closely against me.

Aiden took the knife in his hand, and gripped the handle tight in his palm. He ran his left hand over the blade slowly, careful not to cut his fingers. He tilted his head slowly to one side. After a few moments Aiden lifted his eyes, and looked at James. He blinked, and nodded his head once as a reply. I gave a small smirk, glad that my dad couldn`t see my face.

James nodded to Aiden, meeting his eyes for only a moment.
"Gold will also disable some of an Immortal`s powers. It`ll hurt, too." He winced as if he was remembering pain.

I nodded, not looking at my father.
"Okay. We`re taking a few things, but just the normal stuff." I said softly, looking at my pile of knives a few feet away.

Aiden held the knife so tightly in his palm that his knuckles were turning white. I bet he wished that he could kill jonathan himself. I knew that he felt protective right now.

Finally he looked at the ground, and tilted his head, then blinked his eyes slowly, and turned his head to look at the rack of lethal weapons on the wall.
"Is there anything else that we should know?"  Aiden asked James quietly.

The expression on Aiden`s face was full of hatred. No matter how how he tried to hide it, I could tell that he was mad. I she put my hand over his, lowering the knife in his hand.

"No." James said. "We`re too powerful for much to harm us. We heal fast, too. There`s not anything else that can outlive us." His voice was soft and his gaze was on the floor.

Aiden pressed his lips together, and swallowed. He cleared his throat, and lowered the knife as my hand brought it down.

"Ah."  He said dryly, his eyes still dark.

I sighed sympathetically, knowing that he was trying to change his eye color. I hated it when my eye color gave away my emotions at any certain time. But they had a mind of their own, and would not change unless they wanted to.

"And... one more thing." James said, interupting my thoughts, "Stacey, your power to absorb energies is very unique and perfectly rare. Someone once told you that they knew a person high in some mountain range that could do the same thing as you. That`s because the only known person to also be able to do that is Jonathan."

I froze, my eyes back to blood red and looking pure deadly. James quickly excused himself, closing the us back into the room full of deadly weapons.

Aiden

Very nice.
I like reading Stacey's POV on things.  It's interesting.

|Aiden Gray|Nineteen|Married|In Over His Head|

potter_fan122

((I`m glad you like it. XD ))

Part Sixteen:

Aiden turned, his entire body facing me now. His face looked worried, but only for me. His eyes, like my own, showed some deep emotion in their dark color. However, I couldn't tell if it was fear of the unknown, or fear for me.

His eyes watched my face closely, and I knew that he could feel the tenseness in the room.
"Stacey?"  Aiden asked in a hushed tone.

I noticed that the air felt heavy, like it didn`t have good circulation and had been locked in this room for too long. It smelled slightly musty and felt suddenly small, too. The room would have been cold if heat hadn`t been rolling in waves from Aiden. I could tell that he was trying to get my attention, but I had to concentrate on pulling myself out of her anger. My mind felt blank, but completely full at the same time. I was so full of... hatred and pain. I had no coherent thoughts, just frustration and betrayal.

"I`m fine." I said softly. "Or I will be." I corrected herself, knowing that he would just argue against my obvious lie.

Aiden wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged me tight, but not too tight. Just enough to show his concern. His eyes looked ahead but I knew that was didn`t seeing anything.
"Don't worry love.  I'll make sure nothing happens to you, I swear it.  I'll do whatever it takes."  He promised, showing his sincerity in his voice.

He took in a deep breath, and waited a moment to exhale. It wasn't until then that I noticed something. He took in the real meaning of what James said. A crease furrowed in his brow.

I looked up, feeling Aiden tense.
"What?" I asked, a crease forming in my own forehead. "Did you remember something?" It had, after all, been him who had recognized the Ouroboros on the knife. Maybe he had remembered something that he hadn`t before. He shook his head quickly.

"No."  He said quietly.  "I was just thinking.  If your father is immortal, that makes you at least half of what he is, right?"

"No."
I said it softly and firmly. "No, he said he had checked my chromosomes, I was mortal. That means I`ll have a normal life span, but I`m guessing a lot of my powers are influenced by that half. I`m one of the most advanced people for my age, and that doesn`t happen unless something makes it happen. My mom is a Muggle, so she wouldn`t be the cause." I had hoped that I would soung confident when I said that, but my voice cracked.

Aiden nodded, his expression distant. My answer seemed to comfort him quite a bit. He breathed out a sigh of relief, and rubbed my shoulder gently with his pale hand.

He stared into mine eyes, seeming to come back now after his dark eyes looked so far away.
"What do you think then?"

"What do I think about what?" I asked. My voice sounded snippity and cross. I sighed and clenched my hands into fists.

"I don`t know what to think, my moon. I... I feel... betrayed. Left out. I feel like some part of me was lost. Like I lost my father." I clenched my teeth together and pressed my head against his chest, tears escaping again despite how hard I tried to hold them back. D*mn. I thought. Why couldn`t I control myself?

potter_fan122

Bump, first of all you guys. Come on, I know people read this thing. I know I haven`t posted in a while, but still. I would have posted earlier, but my computer deleated the post. =( But I`ll post soon, once I get it written.

That`s the second thing. This next post will be the last part of this thread. I`ll be starting a new one soon, and a couple people kinda know what it`s about, but it`ll be different. I hope you`ll all read it, too, since it`s kinda starting something else. I know this FF has been hard to keep up with, but things happen. Just please tell me what you think of this next post, and tune in for the next one, which won`t be far off.

Stacey.

potter_fan122

Part Seventeen:

I felt Aiden pat my shoulder gently, resting his cheek against my forehead.  He closed his eyes, and nodded in understanding, then sighed softly, and it was all too obvious that he was thinking about Jonathan.

"I know, love."  He whispred softly.  Aiden turned his head so that his lips were at my ear.
"It's okay.  You can let it out."

I tightly closed my eyes and whiped my frustrated tears away.

"God, I mean, how could he keep something like that from me?  He`s immortal.  He`s lived a thousand lifetimes, and how am I supposed to know how many more lives he`s made?  He could have lots of children over the years."  My words stoped suddnly. I had pulled a little away from Aiden in my own tornado of emmotion.  My hands were balled into tight fists and I could feel my fingernails digging into the skin of my palms.

"I`m sorry."  I whispered quickly.

Aiden took both of my hands, and held them both in each of his, aparantly not caring about how tightly balled around they were.  He stared into my eyes, a hint of something glowing in his own. He looked so... protective and sad, angry at himself for letting me be upset. How could anyone ever resist that? I stared up into his eyes.

He shook his head slowly, as if he couldn't quite wrap something around his mind.
"You're sorry?"  He asked, confused.

I squared my jaw, lowering my eyes to his chest. How could I explain it all? I was sorry that he had to watch me go through this, sorry that I had brought him into it. I didn`t want him to suffer for me, I didn`t want him to have any discomfort because I couldn`t handle my own problems. I just didn`t seem fair. He shoudn`t have to sit here and suffer with me.

"Yes. I`m sorry. I shouldn`t be freaking out on you like this, I`m sure you`re under enough stress without me yelling like I`m some sort of maniac." I uncurled my fingers and squeezed his hands. I saw the little flicker in his eyes, but didn`t say anything. I didn`t want him to get any idead and try to go fighting anybody. Really, I knew that he means well and wants to protect me-- I can understand that-- but he didn`t see what Jonathan could do. He wasn`t there with me that first horrible night when my uncle first pulled me into his evil world of darkness. Jonathan had made me think his was Aiden, and I had let him hold me in his arms...

The memory made me shudder, and a ran my hands over my bare arms.

Aiden moved his hand to caress my cheek softly as his fingertips ran through the hair by my ear.  He stared into her eyes seriously.  Again I saw something flicker behind his eyes-- something deep, something I didn`t fully understand.

He cleared his throat.
"Stacey, you have nothing to be sorry for.  You must be going through so much now, and I don't blame you for acting any certain way.  However, you're definatly not acting like a maniac."  He replied, scanning over her face.
"Take your time, it`s okay."

I squeezed his hand that was still holding mine and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath and pushing it out slowly. I did that two more times before I opened I eyes, which had lightened slightly. Doing that had made me feel slightly better. It was something an old theatre director had told everyone to do whenever they got nervous or scared. Going through the familiar motion made me feel calmer. My heart rate was slower, and anger wasn`t the first thing on my mind.

"Okay." I said softly as I looked up into Aiden`s eyes. I felt horribly bad for making him go through that, even though he didn`t seem to mind.

Aiden ran both of his hands from my back to my shoulders, then to caress each side of my face softly.  He lifted my head up to his and looked into his slightlly lighter eyes.

He gave me a small smile that was just so sweet I couldn`t help but smile back.
"Better?"  He asked, looking relieved as he noticed my eyes.

I nodded, starting to really smile. How could I not feel better when Aiden was there with me, looking like that?
"Yes. Are you ready to go? I think we have enough." I motioned towards the room with my hand, but my eyes stayed on his. I was still standing there in my shorts, tank top, and sheaths but I didn`t feel the cold.

Aiden nodded slowly, seeming to feel better now that I was smiling at him.  For a moment he just had to smile back, his eyes almost shining despite the darkness in the room.
"I'm ready."  He replied slowly, but his voice showed that he was sure of himself.  He squeezed my hand softly.

I squeezed his hand in return before letting it go and moving towards my pile clothes. I slipped back into my jeans and shirt, running my hands over the fitted sheaths that were completely hidden now.

"Is there.... anything else you want to ask him?" I asked softly, motioning toward the door where my father had left. I didn`t have anything left to say to him, and I`m sure he coule understand how I felt.

Aiden stood there, staring at the door.  I saw the answer in her careful eyes before he spoke. He would wait.
He shook his head, turning to look at me again.
"No, not right now."  He replied after clearing his throat.

I nodded, looking down to he floor.

"I don`t know about you, but I really don`t want to go up there again." I looked at the door, my eyes flickering darker for an instant. The thought of seeing my father again just made me want to cry, which is something I really didn`t want to do again today.

Aiden nodded his head up and down slowly in understanding. He pulled me closer to him, and wrapped his arms around my waist. He took in a deep breath, and turned his head to whisper in my ear.

"It's okay.  We can stay down here as long as you want."  He said slowly. The way he did that made we wonder if he really did want to stay, if he did want to ask James something else. But the thought of going back upstairs, back into the living room to sit on the couch while my father spit out words I didn`t want to hear... I just couldn`t take any more of that today.

I did smile then, my eyes sparkling slightly. It always felt weird when they did something like that-- like a feather had brushed against my eye.

"Do you really think that I want to stay down here? It`s cold and smells funny. And there`s more than one way outa here." I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around Aiden`s waist and in the next second we were back in the warm garage, standing next to my black Mercedes.

Aiden chuckled, looking around the garage.  The atmosphere was a lot warmer here than in the dark, damp basement. I could see that he already felt more relaxed and comfortable.

"Do you want to stay here, or would you rather go somewhere else?" He asked as he brushed my hair out of my face.

I just shrugged and opened the shiny black door.
"We can do whatever we want. What do you say we go down to the coast?"  We had been there the last time we had been up here together, and it seemed like the perfect place to go. It woulld be warm and sunny, seemingly the farthest thing from my cold father and his unwanted words. As soon as both of us were in the car, we disappeared into the sunlight together.

Aiden

|Aiden Gray|Nineteen|Married|In Over His Head|