News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Potions Class

Started by Sky, February 13, 2010, 02:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky

Sky watched as the Potions Master bid her farewell and walked quickly out the door. He was an older man, with a bit of weight around his middle. He had a white mustache and his hair had thinned around the top, but it still looked rather full for his age. When he breathed, it was loud enough to be heard. He lost his breath quickly when he spoke or worked too hard, which would explain his retirement at the end of the year. Sky would be the new Potion's Master after that.

The bell would ring soon and Mr. Noland didn't want to get caught up in the commotion of rowdy students as they burst through the halls, eager to leave their classrooms. She sighed as he closed the door behind him. The sound of the door closing echoed around the classroom and made Sky jump. Today, she would be teaching class alone. Normally, Mr. Noland would observe when it was her turn to teach. After all, Sky was only an intern. Somebody would have to watch and tell her if she was taking the right approach to being a teacher. But no. He said he would be heading to London for the weekend and that he had put all of his faith in Sky. If there were to be an emergency, she would be strong enough to handle it. Wouldn't she?

She walked around the front of her, or rather Mr. Noland's, desk, standing in the empty classroom in her black sweater and gray dress pants. Wearing robes was too dangerous for this job. Mr. Noland had said that he rarely had a student catch fire, but Sky was a little cautious.

The bell rang just two minutes after the Potion's Master left. Sky could hear the loud uproar of students as they entered the halls, laughing and yelling to one another. Sky ran her fingers through her long black hair as she took a deep breath. She must not let the students sense that she was nervous. This would be the first time she would be teaching alone and who knows how they would behave. As the students gathered into the classrooms and took their seats, Sky cleared her throat and smiled nervously.

"Good afternoon class. Mr. Noland will be out for the remainder of the weekend, so I will be conducting the rest of the day's classes." She said in her soft tone. She could feel the student's eyes on her, some not even paying attention and chatting away.

Miss Xantier

Heather entered the classroom, she had just been to a charms class. Now she was in a Potions class. She went to her regular spot in the front. She noticed that behind Professor Noland's desk, wasn't Professor Noland at all. It was Sky. Heather smirked, she anticipated an interesting lesson. She looked around the room, she couldn't see Professor Noland at all, in the room. She listened to Sky as she told them where Professor Noland was, and that she was conducting the lesson.

Heather sat in her desk with her potion's partner, a guy named Noah. He was in her house. He was counted as one of the so called Hotties of Hogwarts. With his sandy blonde hair hanging in his blue eyes all of the time. She remembered her times with him as her partner. Causing their potion to always go wrong since he couldn't see through his mop of hair. So if they wanted a good mark, it was always depended on how Heather did her potion. Today her long black hair was in a braid.

She couldn't wait to see what was to come of this class. Maybe there might be an explosion in someones cauldron. But you could never know. As every class was different, to the material your learning, and events in the class.

Sky

Sky walked over to the chalkboard, one that was on wheels, and pulled it over for everyone to see. She picked up her wand off of the desk and lightly tapped the dusty surface of the board. A large ? appeared along with the words miscellanious day((sp)) below it in slanted gold writing.

"Today, I want you guys to make something by yourself. There will be a short lesson in the end if time permits, but I want to focus on what you all know." Sky tapped the board again and the writing disappeared. She smirked. "You are free to make anything you want, but please don't start throwing random ingredients together and just lazily mix it together. We're going to have a huge mess on our hands that way."

Sky picked up a large hourglass timer from the teacher's desk that was filled with brilliantly white sand, and put her other hand on top of it. "Before starting, please remove your cloaks and set them on the back of your chair. Also, if you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than happy to help." She paused for a short moment and then smiled, quickly flipping the hourglass and setting it down.

"You have one hour. Go!"

(( This may be helpful lol. http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/potions-enc.html))

Miss Xantier

Heather watched as Sky put some instructions on the board. She smiled as Sky had told the class that there was solo work today. No partner work for once. She could make anything she wanted. She shrugged her robe off and hung on the back of her chair. She pushed up her sleeves and grabbed her Potions book from her messenger bag. She knew what she was going to make.

Her book was set to the page with the heading: Confusing & Befuddlement Draught

She needed the ingredients: sneezewort, scurvy-grass, and lovage. She took them from her potion making kit, which had many ingredients she would need. She set to making the potion. She felt a tap on her shoulder as she was trying to light her cauldron burner. She turned from her work to see who it was. It was Noah, he was pouting and clearly asking for help. Heather just murmured to him to put up his hand for help or look in the book. She turned back to her burner. She pointed her wand at it. It kept not lighting. Heather rolled her eyes at it, then put her hand up for help.

Sky

Sky watched as the students already started to work, excited not to have to sit through an entire lesson and note taking. They actually didn't fuss about the work, though some groaned when they found out that they would be working solo.

She noticed two hands fly up in the air and walked down to the students. Her eyes fell to Heather's book and connected the problem.

"Can't start the fire? Just take a deep breath and relax. Then say 'Incendio'." Sky said with a smile. "That spell has a habit of ticking me off too." She turned to Noah.

"What can I do for you?" She asked. She could see that the boy was struggling.

Miss Xantier

Heather nodded, and took a deep breathe. She closed her eyes, and allowed herself to relax. She stared at the burner and muttered Incendio. It lit on fire. Heather smiled, and got on with making her potion.

Noah says to Sky "I can't decide what I can make, that won't blow up in disaster. I usually have Heather to help me. Since I usually ruin it. We've never done solo work." He was getting worked up. But took a deep breathe.

AllegraLou

When Allegra sat down in class, she expected the lesson to be another boring one from Proffesor Nolan, with material that she had been able to complete since she was a child. A different person was in his place though and she had just given her full permission to make whatever she wanted. After flipping through her text book for inspiration she decided on a simple, but fun potion called the, "Babbling beverage".

She set to work on her potion, adding and mixing ingredients. After several minutes of silent work, she decided now would be the perfect time to work on her social skills, "Hello." She said to the girl and boy who were sitting in front of her.

Sky

"Just relax Noah." Sky said softly. "No matter what happens, I'll be here to fix it if anything goes wrong. After all, you learn from your mistakes, right? If something blows up, you know not to mix whatever again." She put her hand on his shoulder before walking away.

Miss Xantier

Heather made sure nothing of her potion was to explode. Heather turned around to the girl who had said hello. "Hi, I'm Heather you are?"

Noah nodded, and thought through his head and checked off all of the potions he had tried to make, and ended up having Heather do it. The only ones that weren't checked off were first-year potions. So he set off making a boils potion that would prevent them. He smiled, and pulls out all of the potion ingredients for it, and started making it. Then he hit a trouble spot. He still couldn't make a fire.

He tapped Heather on the shoulder and whispers for her to make the fire, which she quickly did as she checked her own potion.

AllegraLou

"I'm Allegra." She said with a shy smile on her face. "Whatcha making?" She asked. Allegra pulled her long blond hair back into a pony tail, quickly  tied it into a loose braid and then secured it with another black rubber band. She set to work on the potion, adding ingredients as neccesary, stirring slowly.

Miss Xantier

"Cool! I'm making a Confusing & Befuddlement Draught, what 'bout you?" Heather smiled at Allegra. She turned away for a sec, to check how her potion was coming along. She noticed it needed more heat, so she fanned the flames so they would get hotter but not too hot, and added another ingredient to the potion.

AllegraLou

"Um, this is a babbling beverage, pretty simple, but always funny to slip in somebody's drink. Its actually hilarious." Allegra said, stirring her the contents of her Cauldron. "Its almost done!" She smiled happily that she made the potion in record time.

Miss Xantier

"That's really cool! It would be excellent to use it on some Slytherins. Have them babbling nonsense in the next class. Totally worth it! Also very hilarious." Heather said with a smirk. She could easily see it in her mind's eye. She checked her potion and says "Mine is very close to done." She added one more ingredient and then smiled "Done!"

Sky

Sky had been walking about, making sure everyone was following the correct steps in their books and that nothing had gone wrong. She smiled and made her way back to the desk. It looked like these kids knew what they were doing, and that was great. But the true test would be when the examination of their potion came.

Sky watched the hourglass timer, the white sand slowly clearing to the bottom. She stood up once the last grain fell and grinned, but frowned when she saw a boy covered in small blisters.

"Oh...go to the Hospital Wing. Don't worry about the mess." Sky said, running over to the his desk where a purple like liquid dripped onto the floor. Sky sighed and eliminated the mess with her wand.

"Alright..., time's up." She said wearily. "Please put a sample of your potion into a flask and clean up. And try not to spill anything...."

AllegraLou

"Great idea," said Allegra under her breath. She quickly filled up a small vile and handed it to Sky the teacher. The rest of the potion she poured into a larger vile and stored it in her robes. She whispered, "I got it!" to Heather. She began packing up her ingredients and wiping out her cauldron.