News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

No British Actor Petition

Started by Kiara Johnson, September 16, 2003, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiara Johnson

American fans outraged that American actors are excluded from Harry Potter movies
Posted by Michael on Sep 02, 2003 @ 5:20 PM

The casting office at Leavesden studios in the U.K. have said that they are only accepting applications from the U.K. This has made many fans and actors from other countries around the world very upset. So if you are someone wanting to audition for a part in the future movies and do not live in the U.K. you can sign a petition to protest it. Go here to sign a petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/youannoy/petition.html

Thanks to: Wizard News

Iyse

I don't want to sound like a snob, seeing as how I'm a newbie and all, but...

I think that petiton is absolutely ridiculous. J.K. Rowling is from the UK, Harry is from the UK, and the world of Harry Potter should reflect J.K. Rowling's vision.  From what I know, Rowling didn't even want to have any HP movies. I totally agree with her. It's just another way to capitalize of HP. If people want to read a great story, they should read Harry Potter, not watch the movie. If the 2 movies out had used American actors, I'm definitely sure I wouldn't watch it.
Think about it, it's like someone taking your vision and then revising it to their advantage. It's morally wrong.  Harry's story still needs to be told the way Rowling has imagined it. I can't mind-read, but I'm sure she didn't want Harry to be Americanized. Stop trying to make everything American.
Thank you.
PS:Please don't take any of this personally, it's just that I'm European and I live in the States,and I constantly see the Americanizing of other countries, and it's just wrong. This just once again Americanizing. While I'm aware that other actors(such as people from Australia and New Zealand)would enjoy to play parts, they shouldn't be included either.

Kiara Johnson

So, in your opinion, an American, or other nationality, actor, wouldn't be able to  seem british to you?  If it were that way in all the movies, then British actors shouldn't be allowed in an American movie?  This is the type of thing I am talking about.  Many people, like yourself, have different views, there is nothing wrong with that.  But to disgriminate when I know for a fact, that there are many non british actors who could PLAY british roles and you would never know the difference.  See What I'm sayin?

SO WHY, discriminate against nationalities?  It really makes no sence.  I can understand their reasoning, sortta, but Like I said, there are just too many people who can pull it off.  *Shrug*  AWE well, what ever.

p.s.  I have a friend who is of British decent, however, she was born in the states and is an American citizen so she can not try out, even though, she still has the British dialect and looks British and all.  I simply believe it is stupid of them to exclude all other nationalities.  How would they like it if they were exluded from our movies?  :devil:  I am just playing devils advocate here.  so don't take it personaly.

~*Emma*~

I agree with Kiara! J.K. could have stopped them from making the movies anyways.  and i for one signed the petition.  I wanted to be hermione granger when the movies were coming out. i know i wouldn't be good now.  i dyed my hair blond, but there are a lot of good actors out there who are not british or uk citizens .  like kiara said if it were the way u wanted it then all movies should be kept within the people of there own countries i think u should look at it from every point and also what kiara said its our opinion.  and kiara there r alot of those petitions going around and i want them to make a dfifference but i doubt they will so far the actors are really good i just hope it stays like that

Kiara Johnson

As do I .  I only hope that more people watch the movies.  If they atleast would let other audition then maybe it would get rid of some of the anger stird up around the world.  *Shrugs*

Damion

it is ok Kiara, i have sighned the petition as well.  I sighned it a long time ago so I totaly agree with you on this one.

Friends are the ones who still love you even after you fart really loud in class.

.:~*Shuiliya*~:.

1. Sean Biggerstaff is Scottish.  He is in the movie.  The dude that plays Seamus is Irish.  He is in the movie.  Hogwarts is set in Scotland.  Hm... so maybe they don't just want Brittish people?   ::)

2. They aren't discrimminating.  Just respect that they only wanted UK people in the movie (which makes sense because HP is a UK book, with UK people).  You can't do anything to change it.  

3. A petition is just signatures on paper, it doesn't mean anything unless you have authroity which I'm sure none of you do, nor the majority of people that have signed it.

4. I agree with Iyse.  Americans are overpowering and we just need to shut our mouths and go with the flow.  We ARE trying to Americanize everything.

5. Can you really imagine a non-UK person being in the Harry Potter movies?  Really?
Shui~the Queen of Monkii's in the Future World
      ~One of the two brilliant... beautiful... and majestic Spelling Mages!

Be happy! :D

Fawkes

I agree with Iyse & Shui.......:thumbsup:

Kiara Johnson

*Shrugs*  What ever, doesn't matter to me any more either so, ya..  lol

Fawkes

The phenix

It is a man from norway that plays in the movie, but he is only a ghost and shows up just som seconds. I'm totaly agree with Iyse and shuilia

Kiara Johnson

Like i have said, it doesn't really matter much to me any longer, it was just one of my "things"  I sometimes have a tendency to go off on.  lol :-*

Kiara Johnson

don't know, perhaps I hit the lock button when I had the cat problen at my desk.  lol,

But I unlocked it for you all.  lol, have fun!   :P