News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

most expensive movie ever

Started by Kiara Johnson, January 19, 2004, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiara Johnson

THE next Harry Potter film will be the most expensive movie ever made, says director Mike Newell.

Goblet Of Fire the fourth Potter film will cost £170 million £5 million more than Return of the King, the last in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Filming is due to begin in April and Newell, whose bigscreen successes include Four Weddings And A Funeral and Julia Roberts' hit Mona Lisa Smile, said: ''I think of myself as being really lucky. I'm going to make the most expensive film there has ever been.

''These things are not like ordinary films they are world events.''

Newell agreed that the job of directing a Potter picture carried huge responsibilities. He said: ''I have millions of 10-year-olds who must not be disappointed.

''Making Harry Potter is like being President of Brazil. It is a colossal undertaking.''

Goblet of Fire, scheduled for release in 2005, will again star Daniel Radcliffe as schoolboy wizard Harry and Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid, the halfgiant grounds man at Hogwarts.

Robbie's character has presented Newell with a giant sized headache finding an 8 ft tall French woman to play Hagrid's love interest, Madame Maxime.

He said: ''We are casting right now. I've been in Paris, looking for giant women and French schoolgirls.''

TOP FIVE MOST EXPENSIVE MOVIESFox, 1997.2000. £165m: Return of the Kingby New Line, 2003. £112m: Titanic by Paramount/ £96m: Water world by £110m: Dinosaur by Disney, Warner Bros, 1999. Universal, 1995.

Fawkes

Alexa_Girl

<-All these are made by fawkes,anyway i'm alexa instead of my sis nikki!she gave me her a

Professor_Snape

*wham*wham*wham*
Well, that's it. That's the final nail in the coffin.

I'm not impressed by Newells past attempts at directing. is track record doesn't shout greatness.

Also, whenever a movie is called "the most expensive movie ever" is NOT A GOOD THING. That usually means the movie is also the "the biggest flop ever"! Look back at all the old movies that had big budgets, Batman and Robin springs to mind... Cleopatra (of course now it is considered a classic-- and it deserves it too), but because it's budget was so huge the production company LOST money.
Leave me alone.

Fawkes

:-\ I thought that if the movie was more expensive it would be better :P

Kiara Johnson

Not always but look at movies like Titanic.  It was no where near a flop.  and I just hope thT this one will be as good.  It is still rumored that it will be 4 hrs long with an intermision.  One can only wish it the best.  I know I do.

Professor_Snape

Nice dream world you live in there, real Utopian Paradise... unfortunately just because a movie has a good budget NEVER guarantees success. Satan made Titanic successful, because that was the most god awful steaming pile of... but I digress. At any rate, big budget movies are usually all style with no substance.
I'd like to see how Harry Potter would've been in a low budget, independant style.

That being said, I must say Cuaron is a very powerful intelligent director. His version of Harry Potter looks great, and I'm sure he's injected some dimension into the film. Has anyone seen Y Tu Mama Tambien, it's directed by Alfonso. Get the uncut, subtitled version. The cut version with English dubbing sucks. Highly recommended.

Professor Snape
Leave me alone.

Fawkes

Well I just hope Harry Potter will be great........

Avril

Kiara Johnson

Yes Professor, I must agree with you to a point however, as with many people, you seem to have lost your imagination for the Romanic side of film.  As Titanic was quite possably one of the most Romantic stories ever told.  So many people look at the tech. side of movies and fail to see what lies beneath the surface of it all.  They get lost in the box created to show them only good can come from sex, violence and such.  They can no longer see the romance in theatre.  I am only saying that we should wish the GOF the best.  If that is a hopless dream, I suppose I am a hopless romantic then.  For I believe that any story told, has not been a waste of time.
luvs-n-stuff
Kiara

Professor_Snape

You seem to have lost your imagination for the Romanic side of film.  
No, just thinking realistically. Film is, and always will be, a tough, grueling, technical job. And wow, some one who has never met is telling me I have no imagination...

As Titanic was quite possably one of the most Romantic stories ever told.
I refer you to a little known film, Casablanca. Also recommended are the Apartment, and Breakfast At Tiffanys. They are the greatest Romances ever told. They are also the reason you have your Titanic (the romantic angle, not the tragedy... obviously...). Titanic, for me didn't have the love or substance that was so perfectly captured in the above movies.

So many people look at the tech. side of movies and fail to see what lies beneath the surface of it all.  They get lost in the box created to show them only good can come from sex, violence and such.  
That's true, many people do get caught up in all that. But I would appreciate me if you wouldn't so carelessly lump me into that group. It's true there is a lot of love in movie making, sweat and tears. But it's all technical. A director should always be thinking of the best way to keep a reasonable budget, but also showcase his creative and artistic flair. Maybe I should have said just because it has a big budget, doesn't nescesarrily mean it's gonna be good. Thinking about how a movie performs at the Box Office is top priority on any producer. But not necessarily mine. Again I prefer the more personal, rougher edged, Independant style of filmmaking. Indi's usually give a director more artistic freedom, and more creativity in telling their story. Big Budget movies are usually, large, gaudy, kicked around and dragged through the mus by the studio and the producers, until the movie has nearly lost it's heart.

They can no longer see the romance in theatre.  I am only saying that we should wish the GOF the best.  If that is a hopless dream, I suppose I am a hopless romantic then.  
Thank God romantics aren't dead. It's a good thing to see in a time when everything is about the coolest gadgets, the loudest guns, and the smallest phones. I myself love the old, romantic, antiquated times of old.

For I believe that any story told, has not been a waste of time.
Would you say the same thing about From Dusk Til Dawn? Watch that are try and tell me it wasn't a waste...
I can't think of anything else to say except...

I must repeat, do not carelessly lump me into any group unless you have taken the time to know me.

I'm through here, catch you at Shuis. I have nothing more to say...

On the flip-side
Professor Snape
Leave me alone.

Kiara Johnson

I understand that you are not in that lump of mindless movie goers that watch what the Critics say and only see what is "Popular" these days, Also, you must look at the fact that this movie is going to be 4 hours long, and that the whole budget thing might have to do with that fact.  Like i keep saying, I only wish it the best and, hum no,  From Dusk Til Dawn was not a waste of time.  The story was a good thought, the movie, was not well done at all.  I find that in many "stupid" movies.  The movie might have been a waste of time and space but the story lying beneath, was good.

Casab;anca was a great romantic story, as was Intervies with a Vampire.  Also a great story.  Alas, I can not sit hear and type over and over what movies are great and what ones are not, I just love stories, no matter how simple, no matter how complicated, and no matter how semmingly pointless, their plots may be.  A story is ALWAYS worth telling.

LUVS~N~STUFF
Kiara

~ Ella

I agree with Kiara's opinion all the way.

<3 E//a x0x
~ Pure Veela...

Kiara Johnson

Whilst on the subject of lengthy movies.  I have heard that POA is going to be 2 hours and 15 minutes long.  This seems a little short: treat it as a rumour until we get confirmation.

magicball356

Hmm, i heard that there's going to be a 4-disc special when it comes out, of corse, it can't be final, as it's not out yet..and also the most expensive movie would mean the longest waiting for Harry Potter fans....
I'm a magic ball...when you release me, you will be granted with a gift...to release me, go on a magic quest and find all 12 items...more explained, later..>