News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

The Heart's Greatest Desire - please read this, it's my first fiction attempt

Started by spirit_of_the_sea, July 20, 2005, 03:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spirit_of_the_sea

OK, this is my first ever attempt at fan fiction. Please read it, I don't think it's too bad. I have a really cool plot idea for it, but I'll only finish if I get some reviews. Enjoy!!

The Heart's Greatest Desire

Chapter One

Why was it that Harry Potter, the boy who lived, one of the most famous wizards of all time at age 16, could not get a girl? If only girls were like dementors, or spells, or Quidditch, he could master them in an instant. But alas, they were not.

Ron Weasley was Harry's best friend, who, until now, had always been rather jealous of Harry's fame and glory. Although Harry never let it on, he had always been secretly pleased that he was better than Ron at something. It made him feel secure and at peace. But now, Ron had a girl, and Harry did not, and he was finding that he was not enjoying his friendship with Ron as much anymore. He hated himself for this, however; was it possible he only liked being around Ron because he knew he was the superior one, and now that he was not, well...

Harry entered the common room on Friday night feeling dejected and alone. It had been a long and tedious week. He had recieved failing grades on 3 essays in 3 different classes, potions being one of them, and although the other teachers simply gave him extra homework, Snape had given him detention for tomorrow morning, Saturday morning. Aside from that, Gryffindor had lost their Quidditch match against Slytherin, and the trip to Hogsmeade had been cancelled. It just wasn't fair. And now he didn't even have his friends to comfort him.

He scanned around the room, searching with his eyes for Ron, Herminone, and Ginny. He still always attempted to sit with them, hoping that maybe that night would be different...

Hermione found Harry before he found her. "Harry," she called, gesturing for him to join her and Ron, "over here--" Her words were cut short by uncontrollable giggles; Ron was kissing her neck. Harry turned away in disgust. He should've known; tonight wouldn't be any different.

Forcing a grin, he said as politely as he could manage, "No thanks, I'm really tired. See you tomorrow--" Harry stopped, a feeling of intense lonliness washing over him. They weren't even paying attention. Herminone was messing up Ron's hair and lacing her fingers with his, and Ron was kissing her hand.

Angry but too depressed to care, Harry shuffled over to the stairs and descended them out of sight. Once upstairs, he flopped heavily onto his bed, fully clothed.

It was a lie; of course he wasn't tired. What he wanted more than anything was to sit with his friends by the fire and joke around like old times. But that was an impossibility now. He half wished they would be horribly rude to him so he wouldn't want to sit with them, but they still continued to invite him over, despite how terrible he'd been acting. His personal life was feeling it, and his grades were feeling it too; without Herminone to correct his papers he was practically as stupid as Crabbe and Goyle.

Herminone. It made his heart ache just to think of her, and he tried in vain to push her out of his mind. But she remained, smiling, eyes twinkling. Harry smiled thinking of her, despite himself, but then Ron floated into his find beside Hermione and began kissing her...

Harry actually groaned out loud in disgust. Herminone had always been there, and Harry had had his chance. But Ron got to her first, and now Harry regretted it more deeply than anything.

Oh, he loved her so much. How could he not have seen it before? He had only realized this after it was too late, after Ron asked her out first. It was wrong to be this mad, Harry knew, Ron hadn't done anything to deserve this, but he couldn't bear to be near them now. They were always together, always touching, and they didn't even notice how they were making Harry feel. Or maybe they just don't care, said a cynical little voice in Harry's head.

"Oh, shut up," Harry said into the darkness. Just then, somebody came up the stairs into the dormitory.

"Harry, is that you?" said Ron's voice uncertainly. Harry rolled over so his back was to Ron, pretending to be asleep. He had absolutely no desire to talk to Ron right now.

"Hermione, he's asleep," Ron called down the stairs. Harry heard more footsteps, and then Hermione's voice:

"Good. Oh Ron, finally." Ron lay down on his bed and pulled Hermione on top of him. Harry heard them kiss, and then, to his deepest loathing, clothes land on the floor. He pulled all the blankets he could on top of him, pressed a pillow as hard as he could against his ears, and fell asleep, his mind full of images of Ron, Hermione, and the potions dungeon where he would spend tomorrow morning.

I refuse to continue until I get some reviews. Because this is my first fan fiction attempt, I'd like to know how I am doing. I do have more story to write, but I won't post it until I know people are actually reading.
"What is living if I can't live free/What is freedom if I can't be me?"

Em

Ginny Weasly

My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

Professor_Harker

This is really very good. Things dont really go like this in book six but It doesnt matter! Its a great story. Or course some small errors but nothing big. Great writing style and has an awesome feeling. Very close to J.K. Rowling!!!!

A. Nitwitt Blubber H. Dumbledore

Yea i agree it is very good,wouldnt have expected Hermione to be so umm... "lavender-like".but hey its your story ;D.Still great story please continue :).
Nitwitt!Blubber! also Coolio_no1 also raging_hawk1 depending on where you catch me!
"If at first you dont succeed... sky divings not for you!"