News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

I'm sorry, but please help

Started by Kujiko, February 24, 2006, 04:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kujiko

Hi, I joined awhile ago, but could never get on.  (I'm so sorry, I'm on a gazillion other forums, and they're slowly dying, but I have a very tight computer schedule)

Anyway....I had no where else to go with my question, so I hoped someone here could help.  In my school we're doing science projects, and my teacher doesn't make sense, and I'm confused.  I need to figure out a good qualitative data table.  The details of my project are simple.  Every morning at 6:00am I feed my hamster twenty sunflower seeds.  An hour later I remove the food and count how many seeds were eaten, hoarded and left in the dish.  I do this again at 9:00am.  My quantitative data is recording how many seeds he ate, left, and hoarded.  My trial is two weeks long.  I'm so confused, I don't know what to do for qualitative data, my teacher is a short fuse, and doesn't gimme a good enough answer.  Can anybody help?

Em

Hmmm... Have to think about that for a minute... Isn't qualitative data words and quantitative is numbers?... Wow, that is pretty hard... I'm not sure what to tell ya... What did Fisanick say?

Naroto Mashima

ummm, just a guess, try a dictionary.
Al is back on HPFF.

Neville all the way!

Em

WTF kid?! Do you have any idea what she is talking about? A dictionary isn't going to tell her what to use as qualitative data!... Gahhhh....

Naroto Mashima

oh what to use as qualitive data! i thought she was looking for the definition.... lolz. what grade are you in?
Al is back on HPFF.

Neville all the way!

Em

What the... That is completly off the subject...  ::)

Naroto Mashima

actually no it isnt. because he is doing school work. and if im in a younger grade, then im not going to be much help am i? (not that im not already)
Al is back on HPFF.

Neville all the way!

Neo

Your qualitative data would be the description of the seeds which have been eaten, horded, and left in the bowl. Basically its a written description of your numerical data. Teachers do this just to try and teach you to think analytically in scientific terms. Here's an example of what I mean:

At 6:00 AM I placed twenty sunflower seeds in my hamsters bowl. After an hour I remove all of the seeds and count how many were left in the bowl, horded, and eaten. At 9:00 AM I repeate this process.

Look familiar? Its what you already had, in a slighty different wording. You already did qualitative data in your question asking us what qualitative data is.

Hope that helps. Its only the basics of qualitative, but I'm sure you can add onto it now that you know what it is.

Oh, and Ginny Lover, I'm in 12th and have two science courses.
"Without a common power to keep them in check, there will be no advancement, and the life of man is poor, solitary, nasty, brutish, and short."~Thomas Hobbes

Ginny Weasly

*Grins and pats Kujiko on the head*
You couldn't understand what we told you,, so you came here.

Ginny Lover, Kujiko is a girl. My sister in fact. (Younger.....)
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

Neo

"Without a common power to keep them in check, there will be no advancement, and the life of man is poor, solitary, nasty, brutish, and short."~Thomas Hobbes

Naroto Mashima

oh im sorry ginny. and im in eighth, so were not there yet.
Al is back on HPFF.

Neville all the way!

Em

Nahh... I'm sure she just felt like saying that Neo...  ::) :P

Ginny Weasly

Yes, neo she is my sister, and she's in the eighth grade too.
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

Neo

I said that out of shock and...oh...forget it...never mind...*runs and hides*...

Naroto Mashima

oh well i dont pay attention in science, only english. and pe
Al is back on HPFF.

Neville all the way!