News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

The Two Disasters That Nearly Destroyed My House

Started by goblet_fulla_fire, June 24, 2008, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblet_fulla_fire

Righty right. I have a story to tell. Sit down if you aren't already.

I'll tell you the second distaster first. It was less of a close call.
So one day, I was at me mother's, it became an incredibly windy day. It was even alarmingly windy but I always enjoyed that kind of weather. After a little bit, the weather became normal again: another sunny day.

The day after that, I went to me pa's and in front of the house was a gigantic tree that had fallen completely down.

This may seem silly but that was my favorite tree. I mean, it was always there next to my house ever since I was little. Now it's gone. I'm not too broken up, but still.
The bright side is that it totally missed my entire house. And on top of that, it missed a tiny faucet and my dogs' water pan. The only damage it really did was catch a few tiny branches on some tiny Mexican shrub.

Now the second disaster. Believe me, this is something.
It was the day of the first game of the NBA finals: Lakers vs Celtics. My brother and I were going for the Celtics. My father grilled chicken outside on the deck and of course, we ate it.
Oh yeah, we also rented Rambo IV earlier.

It's the 4th quarter of the game and the Celtics were keeping a consistent 10 point lead. I kept on asking for my brother to start the movie. My brother kept on insisting that we finish the game because he really wanted to see the Lakers lose. Despite my single repeating persistent question, my brother got his wish and he saw the whole game through. Lakers lost and it was about 11:00 PM.

You don't think this is all relevant? It is, believe me. Read on.

I had already put Rambo IV in the DVD player when I saw South Park was on. I decided to watch a little bit. It was the episode where South Park goes after the tobacco industry. I wanted to show my brother a certain part of South Park. So we watched half of it. We didn't see it, but seeing as how it was getting late and it went to commercial, I decided to just start the movie.

So we watch the movie. It was just over 90 minutes long. My brother was tired and started to go off to bed. But I go to the DVD player and take the DVD out. That's just something I do all the time with DVD's.

I look to my left. Just 10 feet outside the window, on my deck, there is a long line of fire on the ground. I was just dumbfounded. I wondered how this could be done. I thought it might have been a distortion of the glass.
"Is that... normal?" I said. My brother came over to wonder what I was looking at. He was confused too.

The line of fire suddenly got big, quick. And I mean quick. I'm talking one foot going to 7 feet in less than 10 seconds. At this point, we obviously knew there was something wrong. It was unbelievable how fast that fire grew. We both ran outside and managed to get the fire out, with much help to the hose. The grill had tipped over and the combination of scattered hot coals with very old dry wood started the fire.

This was the fire damage. This is what less than one minute of exposure did to our deck. Imagine what it would have looked like if it had been two minutes. Imagine what it would have happened if the fire didn't go out.

You see, I watched an entire game of basketball which ended on time for me to see a little South Park, then I watched Rambo IV because it was a short movie.

ALL THAT ENDED ON PRECISELY THE RIGHT MINUTE AT 12:40 AM!!!

I say again: 12:40 AM! That was when the coals fell, and somehow, I WAS UP TO CATCH IT HAPPENING! Can you even imagine the odds? If it was one less minute, I would have gone to bed already and the fire would burn on. One more minute, I wouldn't have seen the line of fire where I was and I would guess it would have already spread beyond control by the time we discovered it.

It was that precise moment when I looked to the left that I discovered the fire when the coals had just fallen down.

Somebody up there is on my side.
I am a dog.

Ginny Weasly

Wow, that second one was really..well...
You know.

I actually am rather dumbfounded by that, though not completely surprised.
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

dobby888

That's so scary! I can't even imagine what it must have been like.  I'd like to say I knew what would happen, but that's mostly because I saw the picture before I read the story.

I loves YOUz

Wow you must have someone looking after you... wow thats.... scary..
I wanna get back into this site..
My writing has gone way done hill since I left
and well I miss everybody!

dobby888

That's pretty much living proof that there's some other force watching out for us.

harrypotterfan:)

so true that's really scary...but thank you to whoever is up there watching over us!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

some people wonder what my real name is....it's Faith.....don't make fun of it please=]

dobby888

Yeah and we'd all be really sad to lose Goblet!

goblet_fulla_fire

I am a dog.

dobby888