News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Wow everything is so different

Started by Josh Weasley1, January 25, 2009, 06:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Harry Potter~

Yep, just don't try and fall into the current dissary of 1 line posts or 3 lines if you are lucky.  Josh, remember when Lavender would post giant long posts that would make you go O.O from the length.  She could take 3 paragraphs to describe the lake itself, how the light played off the sparkling water, the flocks of birds flying overhead. 

THAT is what I miss from old HPFF

I will admit, sometimes back then we would have short little maybe 1 paragraph candy RPs where we posted very little or we did when it got slow but we could always post longer if we wanted to.   
They say trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if its broke
But you can still see the crack in your reflection

Josh Weasley1

Haha yeah i remeber Lavender posting those GIANT posts and everytime i would see one i would rub my eyes and say "Dear God" and begin to read it haha yeah i need to get back in the groove of typing big long paragraphs and I've seen some of Ginny's recent ones and some of yours and that's what i need to start doing.
Dancing days are here again

fudge0604

Something I hope will happen now, is that you two, and Ginny, can start posting, and have an positive effect on all of us!   :D Just like you've mentioned several times, Harry.

Josh, please don't leave in a week because of the annoyance of the newbies and one liners  ;D

*Yawns*

Post Potter depression.

Sky

I need to start typing more.

I don't get on here like I used to. Mainly because of the way my step-mother is with things, but oh well.

LavyBrown

JOSH!!!!!!!!!! :o 8) :o ;D :D :-* ::) 8)

Sorry about that. I just had to get that all out. How have you been? Where have you been. Missed you so much!!!!!!

Back on topic: Agreed. I even have to admit that my posts are not like they use to be. It's really hard to toss it out there and have little response to that. That's why Ginny and Xaver have their own personal posts cause they know how fun it can be if everyone is invested.

I really miss the days when I first got here. I remember thinking that my writing was actually improved thanks to this place. Now it's getting worse. My writing I mean, because of this place. We need a no newbies RP zone.

It's really hard for me to get on everyday and post because I'm so bored with it. Before I would spend hours on in one day. You can't leave Josh. I'll just die a little inside.  :'(
Don't do it behind the garden gate, love is blind but the neighbours ain't!
Can I get your picture? I collect nature disasters.
Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried to slam a revolving door.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age

Josh Weasley1

Hahahaha don't worry Lavy i don't intend of leaving. But yeah I hope the RPing improves and some of the newbies improve on their writing. I've been in a hurry the last few times ive been one so all of my writing is a little choppy and short so I'll be improving on that.
Dancing days are here again

~Harry Potter~

Too bad the site can't register the size of the post to count it toward your post count.  Have the giant posts that we can do as like 5-10 depending on 'how' long it is and have the little one liners as .25 or even .1 if it is really short. 

It is kind of depressing to see this new people blast through the posting levels so quickly with such short little posts. 

Like right now Fudge and I have an RP going that isn't even on its second page yet but each post is big. 
They say trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if its broke
But you can still see the crack in your reflection

Ginny Weasly

The post doesn't always have to be big. It has to be descriptive, on topic, good grammar and spelling, and not to mention informative as to what each character is doing.

I still have moments where I'll post only a few lines, because sometimes that's all you can do! As long as you make an attempt, I have no problem. Just don't do it every time. You need it to read like a story, and really, the only time multiple short posts are acceptable is when the RP is moving fast. Each character needs to react just like a person would in that situation. You don't move once and then freeze. You think, feel, speak, hear, move, and see. Mention everything you can!

As for the Twilight aspect...every one of you obsessive fans on this site have completed turned me off the whole series. I don't even want to attempt to read it because I'm so SICK of it! I'm really close to posting a topic in the character bio's that says in nice big bold letters "NO VAMPIRES."
But I won't.

Mine and Xaver's posts are almost always open. All anyone has to do is PM us and ask to join and we'll work our way into a direction for them to do so. As long as the person tries to post well, there's no problem. I speak for Xav a little bit here, but I know she wouldn't mind. Haha. Just TRY!

I still sign on everyday. I don't post everyday though, and I hardly ever reply to PMs unless they are REALLY important. (Josh, I was gonna reply to yours, but I forgot.) Mostly because I use my cell phone to check this website and typing things out takes forever...even with my keyboard. Plus I'm ULTRA lazy.

Anyway, what the newbies need are people to look up to. So those of you who do know how things work need to stick around. How else can they improve?
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

goblet_fulla_fire

I haven't been into RP's for awhile. I try to like them again but I guess it is the "newbies" that are turning me off. Or maybe they aren't my core interest anymore. I don't know.

It might have to do that I actually am interested in other things now such as building my Youtube and trying to write a novel. Then there is school. Then there are online video games to keep me busy. After that, there is the time I spend with my dad (he has no worthwhile Internet.)

And I don't know what quite draws me to this site anymore. I like coming and checking in, make a couple posts, maintain a presence, whatever.

No matter. I joined this site almost four years ago. I'm still here, even if am not particularly active. I'd probably still be here even if every member up and left, and I'd just keep on checking in...
I am a dog.

LavyBrown

LOL

I wrote a book for a project in school. 265 single-spaced pages of pure bs'ing. And it took me nine months. Even with a huge part of the background written for me (it was based off mine and Neo's adventures) I still had to write so..... much...... like descriptions for one. Grrrrr!!!!

Yeah don't give up goblet. It's a pain in the *insert long string of bad words here* but all of the long nights and cramped up hands were totally worth it once I finished.
Don't do it behind the garden gate, love is blind but the neighbours ain't!
Can I get your picture? I collect nature disasters.
Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried to slam a revolving door.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age