News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Warping Reality (Open)

Started by ~Harry Potter~, September 28, 2009, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter_fan122

((Yay!))

Stacey listened, tilting her head as the tune of the song ran though her mind. It sounded like a good song, even if she wasn`t familiar with it. Most of the Muggle songs she knew came from her years of dance.

"Yeah, I think I can see that. But what do you mean by "you can tap into higher power"? Whe you sing, are you more powerful?" She asked, her eyes glistening purple again with curiosity. So many questions, it seemed, and the range of answers was magnificent. She could hear Artemis, of course, and she knew that he heard what Rhyme heard. It made her smile that Artemis didn`t like the song Power of Love. It just sounded like the sort of song Rhyme would sing, and the complete opposite of what Artemis wanted.

"What do you have against the song?" She asked, now talking to Rhyme`s darker side. "It sounds like it would be a good song."
"Get out of my way! I'm a free spirit!"
FOREVER WILL NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.
"And now I understand a phrase I once thought odd;
I guess to love another person is to see the face of God."

~Harry Potter~

Because it is gayer then Richard Simmons in rainbow short shorts singing YMCA

Rhyme had to smirk at that.  He thought differently on the topic but the mental image he had to admit was very gay.  

Eww why did you have to imagine it?  I didn't want to see that!  Oh and for that higher power he means me!  I still have nearly half his power locked within my form.  Since he knows about me he can tap into a bit of it though I can still choose how much I give.

"What he said is true but also I need a song to tap into most of the ancient magic.  I am not very bardly but that is still one thing that ties me to the bards.  I need music of some sort to unlock my greatest powers."
They say trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if its broke
But you can still see the crack in your reflection

potter_fan122

Richard Simmons in rainbow shorts singing YMCA. Now that was funny, and Stacey laughed. Her laugh was sweet and bell-like; she had spent too much time around vampires, and had gained some very subtle things from them. Even she didn`t notice some of the side effects of her own powers.

"Okay, so when you sing the right song, you do get stronger. That makes sense. I haven`t exactly studied bard, but from what I`ve learned of them in my classes, that`s right. They have their own special little power that makes them stronger, right?" She didn`t know much about bard, and most of what she knew came from Rhyme.

"Does that mean when I combine my own powers with song, I`ll be even stronger? You said that you`re at your best when music is involved. I just have to be near any power source." She shook head head at herself. She couldn`t understand how her powers were as strong as they were. It all seemed to be much for her small self to handle.

~Harry Potter~

"If you are copying my powers then yes, it would work the exact same way.  Not sure what would happen if you used a song with your own powers though.  At least it would give it some structure and hey, not sure about you but I always felt fighting should be an art form"

What good is art if you're dead?

Rhyme tried to remember what his mother taught him about bards.  He tended to zoned out when she rambled on about her past since the stuff she talked about never worked for him.  He didn't have any hidden knowledge of old songs or ones of great power. 

"The powers of a bard are finicky at time.  Traditionally a bard's power came from their memory.  A more powerful bard would be the one who either through ancestry or other means remembered more of the older songs.  These ancestral songs gave us our power."

"Let us see..there are the Songs of Construction, which can build up another person's powers or our own strengths and then there are Songs of Destruction which harm others.  And if I am remembering correctly there are Song of the Divine that were lost to even our most powerful bards.  These songs are tied to the earth itself.  It would give a person the powers of mother nature, father time, or even Death."

potter_fan122

"Even Death."

The words rang through Stacey`s mind like a bell. A low, sad-sounding bell. She knew about death, and didn`t need any more help from anything to cause it. She already had the blood of a few people staining her hands. Not that they hadn`t deserved to die, and she only killed them in self-defense. She still felt a bit guilty sometimes about it though.

Stacey shifted her weight carefully and could pull the pull of the sheathed knives across her skin. She was heavily armed, for being so close to home, but she had learned that someone who was trying to kill you didn`t care when or where it happened. She felt safer with the undetectable knives on her. They were hidden the Muggle way, with a little boost with magic. Not even a vampire or spells could sense them. The only person who had never seemed to care they were there, and knew exactly how many there were, was Ginny. And, well, she was always an exception.

"So, music may or may not help? I`m usually strong anyway, especially around other people. Since I am basically copying your powers now without any way to stop it, would that mean music may help?" She asked. Her eyes filtered a shocking lime green as she lead leaned against a tree and crossed her arms. Now her left hand was pressed against a knife. It wasn`t that she felt in danger, she just wanted the reassurance that it was there.

~Harry Potter~

"Truth is, I don't know.  My powers are a wild card at best.  It even infects people who sing too many songs with me when I use my full power.  I wouldn't be surprised if those Ministry freaks I tossed to bits...well Artemis tossed to bits Thank you find out they had a bit of music in them now.  It could take any form for different people and if those people already have their own powers it tosses more chaos into the mix.  You could have a full copy of my powers when I am nowhere near in range for you to copy or you could just have a better singing voice, or anywhere in between those too." 

As Rhyme talked he paced back and forth a bit and made huge hand gestures over his head in frustration.  It wasn't directed at Stacy, he was frustrated at himself for not even knowing how his own powers worked.  The funny thing was, if someone would notice, he paced in perfect beat.  Each step was on the quarter note while his turn would last an exact half note before he started again. 

Calm down you are making me dizzy and I am watching from your point of view

potter_fan122

Stacey watched Rhyme pace. She instantly saw the relation to time, whether she knew it or not. Her lime green eyes focused on his feets, marking off the beats in her head. She lifted her hands without realizing it, and they started moving on their own accord to a tune she hand`t even heard yet. She let the song form in her head to the beat of his steps, her mind ticking off like a metronome.

Child of the wilderness,
Born into emptiness,
Learn to be lonely,
Learn to find your way in the darkness.

Who will be there for you?
Comfort and care for you?
Learn to be lonely,
Learn to be your one companion.
[/i]

The word spoured out of her mouth before she could stop them, before she even formed them in her mind. It almost felt like someone had taken over her voice, and had decided to play with it. The song wasn`t really familiar, but it hit some long ago memory. maybe she had danced to it when she was young, who knew? All she knew was that the words fit against Rhyme a little too well for being spontaneous. She was still waving her hands like a conductor. She had never conducted anything before, this was also something new.

Never dreamed out in the world,
There are arms to hold you,
You`ve always known your heart was on its own.

So laugh in your lonliness,
Child of the wilderness,
Learn to be lonely,
Learn to love life that is lived alone.

Learn to be lonely,
Life can be lived, life can be loved alone.
[/i]

She finished the song with a flourish, and she realized that she had pushed off of the tree so she could move her arms more freely. Stacey looked around for a moment as if she was coming out of a daze. In a way, she was.

~Harry Potter~

((Oh and it is helpful just to cite any songs you use since that way anyone can look it up easily. You can either do it OOC or somehow work it in))

Rhyme stopped in his tracks when he heard Stacy start to sing a Muggle song.  The singer was quite popular though very modern and Stacy claimed to not know many modern singers.  He turned his eyes down as he let it wash over him.  Getting slightly depressed as it remembered how alone he once was, and still technically was.  When you are surrounded by many people can you feel the most alone. 

Ah, just what I need. as he 'said' that waves began to come off of Rhyme in a full sphere.  It was waves of warping reality.  Let you find a way to walk through this darkness.  Once again let us make this choice.  Where do I stand in your life!

Rhyme focused his mind hard.  But since he had no real training it wasn't as sharp as he would have liked it. 

No, not again.  This cannot be stopped but it can be changed.  Let it be but a shadow, the effect not negated only enhanced or reduced!

Rhyme added his will to that of Artemis' shifting the warp.  This way, if Artemis won this time around he wouldn't gain full control.  At most it could shift it 50% in any direction.  Artemis made it so they would redo the little fight they had after he left this plane to think over what he found out.  He hoped to gain control but he would take a bit more freedom. 

Even with the change it was a drastic shift.  Within a quarter of a mile from Rhyme it began to darken.  The light became subdued and then totally gone though for some reason one could still see fairly well.  It was like another world.  The trees that were caught in it seemed to die and turn withered and knotted. 

Suddenly next to Rhyme stood another version of himself though darker.  His hair and eyes were a darker shade of the same purple and he had many more piercings then Rhyme did.  Also it seemed like he had more metal everywhere including it on his coat and pants as well and instead of a modern softer rock band he had the old fashion heavy metal band T-shirt on. 

Both at the same time turned to look to see if Stacy got sucked into the warp as well. 

potter_fan122

((Huh? You mean, like, say who it is? Learn to Be Loenly from the Phantom of the Opera.))

Stacey`s hand continued to move, and from somethere music began to play. Violins and timpani. A full orchestra. The song just kept going, although the words had stopped. The teenager was staring wide-eyed towards Rhyme, her irises the most electric shade of green most people would ever see. Her lips were slightly parted, and if you listened close enough, it seemed like the music was radiating from her.

She stared at Rhyme, feeling like she was watching some twisted Muggle movie, only she was inside the screen. She didn`t notice it when it got darker, she just kept staring. Glowing golden threads strung from her hands as she cunducted the invisable orchestra. But she didn`t notice it, either. And somehow she also missed the instant when Artemis appeared. She knew it was him, of course. She had heard him, and made a mental picture, but never saw him.

Suddenly the music changed, slowing slightly and getting quieter. It seemed more intense, stressed, maybe. The words again leaked from Stacey without her controlling them. She was mystified by Artemis`s appearance. She felt like it was her fault that he was here, but mostly she felt nothing at all. As if all of her had been erased except for her voice.

I remember there was mist . . .
swirling mist upon a vast, glassy lake . . .
There were candles all around
and on the lake there was a boat,
and in the boat there was a man . . .
Who was that shape in the shadows?
Whose is the face in the mask?
[/i]

She took a single step closer to the male pair. The threads flowing around her hands were turning black and white, and they were spreading. They pulsed around the clearing until they connected with each other on the other side. The music shifted again, continuing into another song. Stacey recognized it now. It was from an old play she had done. She had been in the chorus, and the lead dancer. Now she hit all of the notes perfectly.

Stranger than you dreamt it -
can you even dare to look
or bear to think of me:
this loathsome gargoyle, who
burns in hell, but secretly
yearns for heaven,
secretly . . .
secretly . . .
But, dear one . . .
Fear can Turn to love - you'll
learn to see, to find the man
behind the monster: this . . .
repulsive carcass, who
seems a beast, but secretly
dreams of beauty,
secretly . . .
secretly . . .
[/i]

The music stopped and the silence that followed seemed too intense, like the air before a storm. Stacey`s eyes were locked on Artemis`s, full of wonder and something else. It wasn`t fear, but more like cation. This boy could hurt her, had hurt people before before her eyes. The glowing threads tightened slightly in response to her pause.

~Harry Potter~

((Fireflies, Ocean Eyes))

Rhyme narrowed his eyes as he watched...himself.  Last time it was a close call since he was caught off guard and not used to the mental realm.  This time though they were on more equal footing though he still didn't trust Artemis as far as his twig arms could throw him.  Also Stacy being here complicated things. 

Artemis didn't give any chances to get prepared as he sent an ominous black ball of energy at Stacy.  He expected Rhyme to waste energy on something much more than was needed to stop the orb.  Stacy could probably easily stop it herself. 

Artemis' assumption was correct.  Suddenly in front of the orb a huge amount of....fireflies appeared absorbing the hit easily.  An upbeat pop-like beat began as the fireflies flew around Rhyme blocking him from view before clearing to show a small girl of around six.  In reality the girl would be twelve but the reasons for her current age was from the same cause as Artemis' existence. 

This young girl was one of Rhyme's twin sisters.  Not there in reality, she does play a large part in Rhyme's psyche.  Their father left a large scar on nearly every member of their family though his sisters got both a physical scar and a mental one. 

You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep

'Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude
But I would just stand and stare

Rhyme did not sing these parts though they seemed to resonate in the place.  Instead he decided to talk to Artemis at this time, to show that it would not be as easy as the first time. 

"You caught me by surprise last time, this time you won't.  You are alone here, but I got people all around me who love me."

The words were simple but powerful.  What was not directly said was more powerful then what was said though.  Rhyme was implying that he was going to pull from the positive memories of his family.  It was a direct war of emotions.  Could Rhyme's feelings of love overcome Artemis' hatred? 

Rhyme then slowly closed his eyes and sang from his heart.  Sam, his sister, grabbed his hand lovingly and gave Stacy a wink. 

"
I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems"

At the last word another wave of fireflies surrounded Rhyme and he and the visual representation of his sister disappeared becoming one with the swarm of fireflies.  This song was powerful because of its simplicity and childishness.  It best represented the image of Sam, as always loving and always kind.  Alina his other sister was always the aggressive of the two.  They were like two sides of a coin though together their musical power rivaled their mother.

potter_fan122

((Angel of Music, I Remember, Phantom of the Opera.))

Her eyes were on Artemis, and didn`t waver, but she still saw-- more like felt-- the wave of energy come towards her. She raised both of her hands in a practiced motion, her own power bubbling up inside her. She almost wanted Artemis to fight her. It was very rare that she ever got a work-out with her abilities, and most of the time the odds were in her favor. This would be different, though.

She could also feel when Rhyme`s conflicting power appeared, and it was a moment before she actually saw the thousands of fireflies. She barely noticed it when the little girl appear; she was just a little burst on her mental radar. Then Rhyme began singing. Stacey closed her large eyes, taking a few steps towards Rhyme and the girl. Their powers felt alike, maybe they were related. All the time her hands were trained towards Artemis. She would know when he would attack next, if he would. His power felt... different.

Stacey stopped about halfway to the pair, her eyes opening as he started speaking.

"You caught me by surprise last time, this time you won't.  You are alone here, but I got people all around me who love me." He had said. She looked at her hands, thinking. Suddenly glowing red ribbons exploded silently from her palms, appearing out of nowhere and nothing. Unlike Rhyme`s powers, what she made was real, no illusion. The threads of color danced around the clearing in less than a second, enclosing them in a circle of light, just as the black and white threads had.

As he finished the stanza and the girl disappeared, her own voice sounded, her eyes orange and again on Artemis. Music seemed to flow out of her, as if a whole orchestra was held inside her.

Father once spoke of an angel,
I used to dream he'd appear.
Now as I sing, I can sense him,
And I know he's here . . .
Here in this room
he calls me softly . . .
somewhere inside . . .
hiding . . .
Somehow I know he's always with me . . .
he - the unseen genius . . .

The music changed, just as it did the last time she sang. It had the same basic tune, just slightly different. The red ribbons pulsed and grew. Black and white ribbons soon joined them.

Who was that shape in the shadows?
Whose is the face in the mask?

Angel! I hear you!
Speak - I listen . . .
stay by my side, guide me!
Angel, my soul was weak - forgive me . . .
enter at last,
Master!

Stacey had raised herself onto her toes, retorting back to her ballet lessons, and at the end of what she sang, she did a neat bow, bending at the knee with a flourish. She didn`t know if the song really meant anything to Rhyme, but it did to her. He was like her Angel of Music, even if he didn`t try to be. It wasn`t his fault that she absorbed his power of sound. And frankly, she hadn`t exactly heard Artemis do anything musical. She basically thought that it stated she was on Rhyme`s side-- a warning. Her hands were poised all the same, her body half turned so she could see both of them.

~Harry Potter~

((This is Halloween, I used the one from the movie but any version I think is good.  Oh and this will make a lot more sense if you think of it as an extended metaphorically.  Artemis is using the idea of Halloween to represent his dark side of Rhyme since Halloween is when everything evil is supposed to come out))

Artemis stood and watched the light display.  Rhyme only threw a twist into their little game, he didn't win it.  

"You may have love little Rhymy, but remember, I am what goes bump into the night for you.  I am your dark emotions that you don't like to admit you have and all those evils hidden deep within your heart" Artemis said darkly over Rhyme's music.  

As he said this a strong base beat began.  And even stronger dark aura started to roll out of Artemis as the flock of Fireflies flew higher to try and see what was going on.  The aura flowed near Stacy but could not overcome her own form of magic.  It was so like Rhyme's so he could not change it but was not the correct song to try and overpower it so it was easily burned off keeping the area she was effecting safe.  

Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see something strange?

Come with us and you will see
This, our town of Halloween

This is Halloween, this is Halloween
Pumpkins scream in the dead of night

This is Halloween, everybody make a scene
Trick or treat till the neighbors gonna die of fright
It's our town, everybody scream
In this town of Halloween

((Warning this will get a tad bit dark not for those disturbed by thoughts of fictional rape.  If you are Stacy let me know and not read until the safe warning and I'll give you the important details you need to know))

Artemis seemed to disappear into the mist of darkness like Rhyme was absorbed into the flock of fireflies.  Both hit full force with a crash of thunder and flashes of lightening.  

On the mention of pumpkins screaming a little girl's voice could be heard letting out a pained screech of "No!  Stop it daddy" coupled with sobs.  Stacy wouldn't know the voice but Rhyme did.  It was of his sister Sam and with that the fireflies dispersed for a quick moment letting the darkness push further before reforming but much dimmer.  

After the scream within the darkness the dark outline of a man on top of a bed way too small for him with hands going in all directions one scratching sharply down the man's back.  It was very difficult to see though if one looked closely it was clear what was going on.  It was such a tragedy that it happened but it did.  It was a low blow for Artemis to use but after the last time, he decided to not hold any punches.  

With the second mention of screaming the voice again could be heard though this time it yelled/sobbed.  "Rhyme, why did you let this happen?  Why didn't you protect me like you said you would."

((Darkness over you may start reading again))

That was the last straw for Rhyme and with the audible cracking of glass the fireflies vanished, throwing Rhyme and Sam toward Stacy.  Rhyme got there, Sam did not.  Sam disappeared after a strong crack appeared going straight down the middle of her body before vanishing.  This represented Rhyme's vision of purity breaking as well for his poor sister.  And since that purity is what he based his vision on, it too broke.  

((Not sure how Rhyme would interact with whatever Stacy was doing so I left it open for you to fill in.  Feel free to RP Rhyme's landing))

potter_fan122

((I got so confused. That happens a lot, in case you didn`t notice, but right now I`m majorly confused...))

As Artemis`s words sank in, Stacey stood up a little strighter, her chin raised a little higher. She was strong, and she didn`t like it when her weakness showed, so she forced it back. Whatever Artemis would say, she would take it full in the face, not to her back as she ran away.

The glowing strings that circled the clearing became brighter, but the white one changed to a royal purple. They seemed to lighten the darkening trees, but Stacey knew that they grew brighter because she was pulling energy into herself. She had put down most of her mental sheild, the full force of Rhyme`s power flowing into her. She shuddered as Artemis sang and the projection appeared. The scream had startled her, and it somehow hit home. It made her angry. She didn`t know why or how she knew, but she knew it was Rhyme`s sister. Maybe it was because she was absorbing so much from him when he didn`t even know.

But then she heard the second scream. She realized that she was clenching her teeth together and she had one of her throwing knives in her hand, her fingers wrapped tightly around the handle. Stacey realized that she hated Artemis, just then. Not only had he threatened her on one of her greatest fears, but he had brought back memories from Rhyme`s past and forced him to remember them.

She had to think quickly, and she knew it. She had to think of a song to bounce back from him, it was obvious Rhyme wouldn`t-- or couldn`t. Then Rhyme and the girl were thrown towards her. Her free hand automatically made an exploding motion and a cushion of energy caught him. She looked back at the image of Artemis, her eyes blood red. Her knowledge on nice songs was limited. Most of the songs she knew were from tragic plays. That wouldn`t exactly help right now. But she did remember something, a shadow of a song, really. It would have to do.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

There is no life - no life without its hunger;
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity.

Stacey belted out the words loud and clear. She took a defiant step towards Artemis, the knife still in her hand. She knew that she couldn`t really throw it at Artemis and expect it to hit him. She didn`t even know if he was really there, or just an image. Her mental map of energies didn`t help, either. Everything within a half mile was messed up.

The music that pulsed through the air changed again, it`s beat getting faster and more pop-sounding. Stacey slipped the knife up her sleeve and used both hands to do a wave-like movement to the music. Purple swirls pushed their way around her, casting a soft light over her. Before she began singing she spoke.

"You may be what goes bump in the night, but so far, I`ve killed everything that`s brought out my dark emmotions." She replied darkly.

I dance around this empty house
Tear us down, throw you out
Screaming down the halls
Spinning all around and now we fall

Pictures framing up the past
Your taunting smirk behind the glass
This museum full of ash
Once a tickle, now a rash

This used to be a Funhouse
But now it's full of evil clowns
It's time to start the countdown
I'm gonna burn it down, down, down
I'm gonna burn it down

She had only heard the song recently. Some band in the Three Broomsticks had made a parody of it one night, but she could easily read the real words in their minds at the time. It seemed to fit now, though. The evil clown obviously represented Artemis, and the line 'I`m gonna burn it down' clearly stated her insistence on winning, and since she was on Rhyme`s side, he was included in that.

((You Raise Me Up- Josh Groban. Fun House- Pink.))
((And this time the purple swirlies do relate to Rhyme`s powers inside of her.))

~Harry Potter~

((Wow, your posts are getting really good, see what you can do when you try?  Now you can show this off to other people who have yet to see the light of good RP))

Even though his landing was cushioned Rhyme hit the ground hard and passed out for the moment.  When the warp of reality broke a small part of his mind broke as well which would take him a few minutes to recover from.  He hit the ground like a limp doll and flipped and rolled a few feet behind Stacy.  As he passed her though, his MP3 player fell out of his pocket and rolled to Stacy's feet. 

Artemis smirked as he coalesced back into a human form a few yards away from Stacy.  He made a clicking sound with his mouth as he shook his head.  "Tisk tisk what a pity.  Looks like poor Rhymey here pushed his poor mind a bit too far.  Looks like it's just you and me toots."

Artemis pulled a knife from his coat pocket which glowed with dark energy.  He smirked at her once again with an evil glint in his eyes. 

"Come on, let's see what cha got." He said as he  motioned her to attack him with his hand. 

potter_fan122

((I know, but it`s hard to post like this with another person who only gives a couple lines. Look at Put This Fire Out by Toni Childs))

He`s just an image. He`s just an image. He`s just a image.

Stacey chanted this in her mind, tryint to make herself believe it. Part of her did; Artemis couldn`t really be here, he was just part of Rhyme`s mind. But the other part disagreed. He had a knife, and he was provoking her. Her animal instints were screamin at her to fight back-- she never ran when given the choice of fight or flight.

"Got a lot more than you`ll ever know." She retorted as she pulled off her jacket. Her eyes were brown for once, her natural color. She felt their color and smiled in her mind. She was ready, and she knew it. She knew that she had about eighteen perfectly good knives hidden on her bodice, and more were hidden in her shoes, even if they were harder to get. Her hands raised again, not not having the object that touched her foot, and the lines of light tightened, and suddenly burst into flame. Her eyes responded by flashing a bright orange that matched the color of the fire. She found that she wasn`t scared of him. She had faced her fears her whole life, and he wasn`t really all that different. He couldn`t hurt her as easily as he could hurt Rhyme. He couldn`t bring up painful memories and torture her with them.

Masquerade! Paper faces on parade.
Masquerade! Hide your face, so the world will never find you!
Masquerade! Every face a different shade.
Masquerade!
Look around - there's another mask behind you!

Flash of mauve. Splash of puce.
Fool and king. Ghoul and goose.
Green and black. Queen and priest.
Trace of rouge. Face of beast.
Faces.

Take your turn. Take a ride.
On a merry - go - round
In an inhuman race.

Eye of gold. Thigh of blue.
True is false. Who is who?
Curl of lip. Swirl of gown.
Ace of hearts. Face of clown.
Faces.
Drink it in Drink it up
'til you drown in the light.
In the sound.

The song had a certain meaning to her, one most other people didn`t understand. For her the song meant power. All her life she had hidden behind the dream her mother wanted her to be, the mask of perfection. Stacey was deeply attatched to the song because it meant she could be herself. To her, it meant that she didn`t have to hide any more.

The fire around the clearing was blue with heat, and her eyes changed to match. Her eyes were locked on Artemis`s, and she took a half step forward in defiance. She was tired of feeling like she had to give in to other people. It was that step that made her notice the small thing at her feet. She looked down without thinking, breaking her concentration. She quickly looked up again, trying to collect herself. She knew that that could have been a mistake. She pulled a knife from her sleeve and twirled it through her fingers, showing off a little.

Masquerade!
Grinning yellows, spinning reds.
Masquerade! Take your fill -
let the spectacle astound you!

Masquerade!
Burning glances, turning heads.
Masquerade! Stop and stare
at the sea of smiles
around you!

Masquerade!
Seething shadows breathing lies.
Masquerade! You can fool