News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

New York City

Started by ~Harry Potter~, February 12, 2010, 03:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Harry Potter~

Rhyme sat on the top of a tower at Hogwarts, his legs hanging over the edge.  He wasn't worried about the drop, if he really tried he had lots of ways to stop himself from getting hurt if he fell.  As his legs swung back and forth on the wall he tilted his head back and looked at the blue sky with the white puffy clouds.   It was a beautiful day and for once he felt at peace.  His throat was almost better after what happened last week and he had a near infinite supply of lemon water on his person to keep it that way. 

Rhyme was waiting for Stacey and whoever she decided to bring with them to come so they could go.  He felt after the events of last week they both needed a break so he would treat Stacey to a day on the town, well, it would be insulting to call it a town, more like one of the largest cities in America, New York City.  Theater was a tight knit group, once a thespian, always a thespian.  Rhyme's mother was big into musical theater since many of the 'lost' bards as she described them floated toward musical theater or music in general.  She said how ninety percent of singers, songwriters, and thespians in the world were the decedents of old bards who either forgotten the art, got watered down to much over the years, or just didn't have for some reason or another.  Many though still knew the ways and were always willing to give a few tickets to a bard or other thespian. 

As he waited though, he shifted through the infinite number of songs on his mental and physical ipod.  For a short jump he could brute force his way through space and warp space so he could make the jump, for longer ones though, he would need something to guild his way.  He was thinking of maybe "Purpose" from Avenue Q but turned it down since though there was what was called the Alphabet City, which was a part of New York, the streets skipped over Q, going from Avenue P to Avenue R.  The Alphabet City though led him to another musical that occurred in that district, RENT supposedly took place in that district of New York.  He ran through the song in his head nodding that it could guild them to one of the worse areas of New York but still New York. 

He had the issue of how to get them there taken care of, but he still didn't know how he would land them there without getting caught.  Having three or more people randomly appear in the middle of a street or in a living room would not be good.  He could try and land them outside the city but that would cut down on their time in the city.  He could try and land them up in the air but he wasn't sure if he could hold three people in the air while also doing such a hard warp of space itself.  He shrugged as he leaned back going horizontal on the room as he let out a sigh.  He would see who Stacey brought with them to see if they could help. 

"Where is she?" he asked nobody as he let out a breath he didn't even know he was holding. 
They say trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if its broke
But you can still see the crack in your reflection

potter_fan122

A slight shiver ran through Stacey as she jogged up the steps and she got closer and closer to Rhyme. She closed her mind off to any powers besides her own, but she still caught his stray thought.

Where is she?

*I`m coming.* She sent upwards, hoping her friend would hear it. Her breathing was measured and rhythmic,  the product of years of physical training and fleeing from dangerous things. "Hold on, almost there." She added out loud as she jumped up the least few steps. She could have just transported up to the tower, but the last time she transported on the grounds she was almost caught and she didn`t want to take the chance.

"Hi." She greeted simply, smoothing down her frilly white shirt and black jacket. "You didn`t specify what we`d be doing, so I dressed nice and brought two changes of clothes." She held up her tiny silver clutch and waved it at him. She didn`t have anything else with her. "I invited Sky Mason. I thought she`d like to come, and she needs a break from work. She`ll be here any minute. How`ve you been." She spoke without taking a breath in the way only girls could really do and moved towards Rhyme at the same time to lean against the little stone wall. Her eyes were dark grey with concern, but there was a light blue highlight to them. She had never been to New York, and she was really excited. Her parents had always refused to take her there, but she never knew why. They said it was a dirty, dangerous place like she couldn`t take care of herself.
"Get out of my way! I'm a free spirit!"
FOREVER WILL NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.
"And now I understand a phrase I once thought odd;
I guess to love another person is to see the face of God."

~Harry Potter~

"Good, you know who has been a lot quieter since then.  How have you been?  You all together again?  We can wait another week if you want.  I would hate for something to happen from being around so many people.   New York has thousands of people in any one area."  Rhyme replied his voice still a bit horse though it was starting to get back to what Stacey knew as normal. 

Hey don't talk like I am not here. Artemis added rudely to Rhyme's previous comment. 

Rhyme laughed for the first time in a long time.  A true, light hearted laugh that did not hold any traces of past hurts or pains.  For the first time, even with Artemis in his head, he felt at peace. 

"You can use my powers to create nearly anything in existence, and you still brought extra cloths?" he said jokingly.  That was the only reason he was dressed as simply as he was in his classic ripped jeans and leather coat this time sporting a RENT t-shirt.  "If you want to grab anything else though feel free to do it now, you won't have to worry about carrying it. 

What Rhyme was referring to was something very simple and one of the first tricks he learned once he figured out he could bend space.  It was an otherspace pocket, by warping space he could create a pocket that was nearly infinite in volume but only had a small hole that could be created anywhere in the world.  It was the same principal that was used in Rhyme's coat but since the one in Rhyme's coat was always open the mass of the objects was still in his local area so he had to bear the weight.  He always grinned when someone found out he was commonly wearing over fifty pounds of metal and other objects on him and he was still as graceful as he was. 

potter_fan122

Stacey smiled as Rhyme laughed and her eyes lightened. It was really the first time she had heard him laugh, and she liked to see that he seemed a bit happier.

"I don`t need you to make anything for me; I can manifest anything I want, too, plus I have this." She held out her clutch for Rhyme to take it. The absurdly tiny little bag looked so unsubstantial, but if you held it you could tell that it was at least fifteen pounds. She grinned wickedly and let her eyes flickering emerald green for a moment. "It`s just an Undetectable Extension Charm. Not as complicated as manifesting objects, and it hold a lot more."  She didn`t need to add that her also held another fifteen pounds of knives on her person. She knew that Rhyme had his kunai, or whatever they were called, she could never remember, and she had her own weapons. They were Muggle-made, not an ounce of magic in them, but they worked just as well.

"I wonder what`s taking Sky so long. I told her eight, but maybe she got tied up with a student." She looked up at the sky, trying to figure out the time by the angle of the sun. She had gotten out of practice since she had graduated, and she was better with the stars and moon than the sun. She squinted and looked between the sun and the horizon as she spoke again.

"You said Artemis was being quieter, does that mean he`s going to behave today and not try to do anything weird while we`re around so many people?" The only reason she asked was because she didn`t want to answer his first question. You all together again? How was she supposed to answer that? She was never together, even at the best of times. Something was always wrong with her. She didn`t like answering that certain question, never did.

Sky

"I am so frigging late." Sky groaned as she bulleted past students outside the grounds. She wore a maroon t-shirt and a black zip up hoodie with some torn jeans. Her hair had been almost perfectly straight, but was now probably desheveled and messy.

"I'm so sorry." Sky puffed as she came to a stop beside Stacey. "I had to finish some paperwork for the Professor." She worked on catching her breath and shivered. Why didn't she think to bring a jacket? Oh well, she could put a charm over herself or buy a jacket in New York or something.

She looked at Rhyme and smiled happily. "Long time no see." She said. "How are you?"

She looked at Stacey.

"Be glad you got to go straight to being a teacher. Being a student teacher means doing extra work. Honestly, it's like sixth grade year all over again."

((Sorry, it's pretty short.))

~Harry Potter~

Rhyme was about to answer Stacey when Sky rushed onto the room.  He saw that she looked pretty disheveled as if she just did a lot of running.  He reached his left hand into his right coat sleeve and rummaged around with a lot of clanking metal before trying the other arm where he pulled out a brush still in the packaging and a small hand mirror which he offered to Sky. 

"You would be amazed how forgetful my sisters could be." He said giving a reason to why he had a new brush and a mirror in his sleeve. 

"Oh and Stacey, Artemis should be fine and if he is even getting close you will be able to tell because of the failsafe I put in the binding this time around."

Oh don't get me started on that little trick.   You watch way too many musicals I swear. Artemis mentally grumbled. 

"Oh...and none of you had a big breakfast right?  Or get queasy easily?" Rhyme asked offhand.  He was used to the effects of his form of transportation but not sure how the others would react.  It felt as if he was being sucked in by the gut and being spun all around until you came out the other end.  And coming through felt like you were pushing through thick jello. 

potter_fan122

Stacey turned to face Sky as she entered. She couldn`t help but smile as she apologized, looking rather winded.

"I didn`t get to go right to professor. The Defense professor is just a little bit more organized than the Potions master is." She smirked as Rhyme handed out the brush and mirror. Gosh, he had everything, didn`t he?

"And no, I didn`t have a big breakfast, although I`ve gotten quite used to transporting by now." She rolled her eyes to herself and leaned back against the wall.

"What are the plans for today? Or are we not allowed to know?" She asked and she ran her fingers though her hair. She had been really excited when Rhyme had asked her if she wanted to go to New York City. It seemed like such and exciting place to be, so many people.

((Blah. Shortness.))

Sky

Sky gratefully accepted the brush and mirror, carefully stroking it down her long black hair until it was straight and tidy. She handed it back. 

"Thank's Rhyme." She said grinning. "I owe you one. I looked a hot mess." She made a goofy face at Stacey before turning her attention back to Rhyme.

"I didn't really eat anything, but I should be fine. I can deal with a little bit of discomfort."

"What are the plans for today? Or are we not allowed to know?"

"Yeah." Sky chimed in. "Where are we doing? I hope Jason can take care of Jake...."

~Harry Potter~

"I was thinking we could see a show or two, maybe do some touristy things.  We should be able to cram a whole weekend of sights into a single day since the hardest part about seeing it all is just getting to the places.  We can see the Statue of Liberty, Statin Island Ferry, Empire State Building, China Town, Little Italy and lots of other places.  If there is something you want to do in particular let me know, I can see what I can pull to make it happen." He said with a grin. 

As he spoke he put the brush and mirror back into his sleeve and gave his arm a small shake to make the items go back into the space pocket in his sleeve.  After he finished talking his eyes sparked from sudden remembrance.  He reached into his front pocket and pulled out two sets of earplugs, he one set he held in his hands and the other he handed out for Stacey to take. 

"Not sure how high you can hear anymore Stacey but what I do will be pretty high up there, it will be painful if you can hear it.  Though Sky, you haven't spent enough time around me to develop any high frequency hearing yet.  Though would either of you know a good cloaking charm, it would be really helpful since I can barely hit the city from this distance and I can't guarantee we won't be seen.  That..or a good mind erase charm." Rhyme said with a small chuckle from Artemis at the last comment. 

potter_fan122

Stacey took the earplugs and winced. "I was wondering about that. I was just wandering the corridors yesterday and I kept on hearing things. Thought I was going crazy." She shook her head, but paused as she thought of something.

"How, exactly, are we getting to New York? I can transport us, if you want. It`d be really easy and I could do it without being noticed. There wouldn`t be any side effects, just some dizziness." She looked between Rhyme and Sky, waiting for their opinion. Her eyes flickered lime green and she mentally kicked herself.

*Gotta remember to keep that under control.* It had been a while since she had been around Muggles and had to worry about her eye color. The only Muggles that knew about her eyes was her mother and Ryan, Aiden`s uncle.

~Harry Potter~

"I guess that could work" Rhyme said, "I just thought one of the main things with teleportation was having to know where you were landing.  I figured you two haven't gone to New York before since it was in America that is why I offered to take you."

He paused for a moment trying to find a good way to explain how he did actually transport himself.  It was really complex and he didn't even understand the finer points of it.  It was really heavy with physics since unlike witchs and wizards, he couldn't do pure magic.  He could bend the rules of physics but he couldn't completely break it like others could. 

"I think the best way to explain how I do it Stacey is the realize there is a lot of empty space in the world, I just compress that space and use my magic to warp a hole in that space.  It just takes a good bit of energy that happens to come out at high frequencies."

Isn't that Haru kid you dated from New York too? Artemis added in Rhyme's head. 

Rhyme didn't even flinch on the outside but gave Artemis a flaming look of pure hatred that rivals that he gave to Jonathan when he hurt Stacey.  It was one that even made the thingyy Artemis shut up for the moment. 

potter_fan122

Stacey nodded, tilting her head to the side. She heard Artemis shoot the comment, and felt Rhyme reply with a really evil look, but she didn`t show it. She hated it when she felt things from other people`s mind. It felt so intrusive and... wrong. One of the worst things, though, was knowing that the person would never be able to tell. Only Ginny could have felt Stacey probe around, and that was if Ginny allowed her thoughts to be heard.

"Kinda, but not really. My kind of teleporting is different than Apparating or anything. Besides Aiden and me I don`t know if anyone can do it. I have no idea about the physics side of it like you do, so I`m really not a hundred percent sure how it works. What I do is make a tiny flame where I want to move to, and yes, I can get us to New York from here, then sort of concentrate on pulling myself towards it. I can`t explain it all that well, but I can do it really easily. Another plus is that it`s not traceable, so the Ministry can`t follow me." She said after the last remnants of Rhyme`s glare wore away from her mind. She shivered a little.

"Another thing, Sky, if you need or want something, I`ve got it covered." She moved one hand to her arm, her fingers curling. Her wand was strapped to her arm, as always, even though she hardly used it. She could do a lot more without her wand and it was almost a hassle to have to get it out. Still, she had everything she needed, whether it was manifested or not.

~Harry Potter~

He grinned as he pushed himself from the wall and onto his feet which he didn't even realize were no longer on the actual castle but just floating there.  He took a step up onto the castle the trace of anger at Artemis far from his mind.  He was going to have a fun time today if it killed him. 

"Let's get this show on the road then!." He said happily.

He put his first two fingers and his thumb in a pinching position in front of him.  As he spoke he pantomimed tossing a hit into the air and right when it would come down on his head he did a sweeping motion with his first two fingers from his ear to his eye.  When he did this a black with purple pinstriped fedora appeared on his head.  He then motioned over his eyes and a pair of sunglasses appeared hiding his purple eyes. 

"I don't feel like being asked where I bought my colored contacts" he said with a grin and a wink which couldn't really be seen behind the glasses though the playfulness of his voice was clear. 

potter_fan122

((I suggest we continue without Sky. Otherwise this thread would die before it began.))

Stacey nodded and smiled. "The same goes for me when my eyes happen to change color." She gave Rhyme a knowing look and stepped closer to her friend. She would have normally jumped up on the ledge beside him, but being newly pregnant she was becoming a little more catious about things.

"I`m ready if you are."

She tilted her head to the side and looked out to the castle grounds. A wind was blowing the leaves in the trees of the forest and that same wind was making little waves in the lake. It was simple, but it was beautiful.

((Shortness. =P ))

~Harry Potter~

"Let's get going then.  New York City here we come!" Rhyme said happily as he jumped down next to Stacey and wrapped his arm sideways around her giving her a loose hug. 

~~~

Across the ocean on another continent a petite man stood in a very dingy looking kitchen with just a pair of sweatpants on and a hooded sweatshirt.  He had his tongue between his teeth as he scowled at the sorry condition of his kitchen.  It didn't matter as much when he was always out but since he got more and more steady jobs he found himself cooking more and more at home with horrible results.  He could cook decently if the oven itself didn't burst into flames from the caked on grease from years of not being cleaned. 

"Now, let us see how this will work with brand new appliances."

He waved his hands and the air shimmed creating a new illusionary effect.  That was all he could really do at the moment and he frowned wishing at times that his illusions could stick around like his cloths did.  The memories of how his cloths, once only illusions, would remain as well now made a small tear fall down his face.  It brought both good and bad memories though he didn't find out until he got home of the little 'gift' his old friend had given him from their time together. 

"The chrome is nice but way too shiny, I would have to polish it every other day to keep it looking this way, and I think I will go with the stainless steel appliances and maybe the pink marble for the counter-tops.  This will eat a serious hole in my savings though he said with a sigh as he went over and sat in front of his TV and flipped it on to the late morning news.