News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

it seems 2 b

Started by Emma G., March 14, 2003, 08:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.:isis:.

with the information that i got from that, it made me wonder why the water was not orange or red, because those are the colors that the water molecules are most attracted to! this is too confusing!!!  >:(
I think we should all go back to carving stuff on stones. Stones don't crash or get accidentally deleted. - sean biggerstaff  :-*  a.k.a. oliver wood

FANDABIDOZI! pIsHeD pOkEy HaTs R gOnE!i :(
GO DUCKS! GO LEAFS, GO! :D

.:¤*¤:. <3 isis .:¤*¤:.

Kiara Johnson

ok then, why is it that some water in the ocean looks green?  Just wondering.  Maybe it's just me.---lol

i have no clue...o! i got it! because the water molecules, n different locations, absorb different amounts of sun rays, and other colors, making a difference in the shades of blue.
I think we should all go back to carving stuff on stones. Stones don't crash or get accidentally deleted. - sean biggerstaff  :-*  a.k.a. oliver wood

wow...i feel smart... :D

.:~*Shuiliya*~:.

Sorry guys.  That's also incorrect.

Water is blue in oceans and lakes because it reflects from whatever color the sky is.  That's why water is darker at night, and turns orange on sunrises and sunsets.  If you have a clear glass, and fill it with water from a lake (NOT man-made, they dye the water blue), the water is clear.  Lakes and oceans sometimes look green due to the wildlife it contains.  If there was green on the sea floor, the water would have a tint of green in it.
Shui~the Queen of Monkii's in the Future World
      ~One of the two brilliant... beautiful... and majestic Spelling Mages!

Be happy! :D

Kiara Johnson

wooow.  Here I thought maybe I was just seeing things again.   lol  uhm err just forget I said that.  *Shakes her head really hard to get the voices out*   :)

QuoteWater is blue in oceans and lakes because it reflects from whatever color the sky is.  That's why water is darker at night, and turns orange on sunrises and sunsets.  If you have a clear glass, and fill it with water from a lake (NOT man-made, they dye the water blue), the water is clear.  Lakes and oceans sometimes look green due to the wildlife it contains.  If there was green on the sea floor, the water would have a tint of green in it.

in the book i read, it began by saying that that was an incorrect assumption, but i dont remember everything it said after that. ill look it up tomorrow. i have to stop reading today b4 my head explodes! ...again...

What book is that? ???

uuuh...lemme check...

What Einstein Told His Barber
by Robert L. Wolke

QuoteThat's why water is darker at night, and turns orange on sunrises and sunsets.  

um...i think im going to have to dissagree with you. when the water is orange during a sunset or at sunrise, thats a reflection. just stand over the water and look at your reflection. the water is not the color of your shirt or the rest of your body, its just a reflection. you can also see that the water is truly blue. just fill up your bath tub with water, and you should be able to see a blue tint in the water. and the water doesnt change color at night. just think about it. at night, everything looks darker. take your face for example. there isnt any natural light, so your face looks darker, but its not. its just because there isnt any light. same thing with water. its still the same color, but since it is darker outside, it looks darker.

I have no idea what kind of water that your tub fills with, but ours here is completely clear.

You made my point.  And sunrise and sunset, the water reflects, you agree with me there.  So why would it just reflect at that time of day?  Why not during the afternoon, or midnight?
Water looks completely black at night.  Because the sky is black.  Yes, everything gets darker, but water is the color of the sky.  Do you see a white fence turning black at night?

Look more closely at tap water from your sink.  Look at it in a CLEAR cup, inside.  It's clear.  Look at it outside (while not being underneath anything) the water is slightly blue, not by much.

You say, when you look in a lake, you see yourself back.  That's because you are reflecting.  Do you look blue?  Nope, you're the same colors as if you were looking in a mirror.  If you are a tint of blue, that's because you are surrounded by blue.

Collect information from more sources, not just one book.  It may be wrong.  Ask ppl at school what they think.