News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Mike Newell as GOF Director

Started by Kiara Johnson, December 12, 2003, 07:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiara Johnson

The director of such films as Four Weddings and a Funeral and Pushing Tin, has no doubts as to why he chose to go from one cinematic extreme to the other. "I am of a generation in England that was brought up (at a time when) you could work and find out how to work in television. And television was omnivorous then. It was very varied and it was full of extraordinarily diverse opinions and points of view and talents. You could never say, 'I don't comedy. I don't do thrillers. I don't do this or that or the other.' You did everything. One of the things that I found when I began a different line of work was that people were much happier if you did the same thing all the time, because that was quantifiable. I don't know why Ang Lee made The Hulk, but it may be that the Ice Storm Ang Lee made The Hulk because he was bored by being asked to make The Ice Storm again. There is a huge virtue for us guys in variety. Also, it's something to tell your grandchildren," he adds, smilingly.

Newell believes that it's possible to take such an established franchise as the Potter films and make it your own. "Obviously, that's what you try to do. Chris Columbus made the first two, and those were a particular kind of film. Alfonso Cuaron is making the third, and it is radically different, and for me there is a story worth telling." Newell confirmed that the original children will be returning for Goblet. "But, whether (Daniel Radcliffe) will be back beyond this or not, I don't know. But he will be the same age as the character should be. The (other two kids) will (repeat their parts as well). But listen, one of the reasons to do it is that the way you literally make a film is that you take a subject and you hone it and you hone it and you hone it until it is an arrow, and it goes as straight as you can make it to the middle, if you can manage it, of the target. These stories aren't that at all. These are like Bollywood in that they're all singing, all dancing. They're like variety shows and you can have that spine to them, but, at the same time, you've got to hang the baskets of flowers off of the spine. That's a huge and very amusing challenge to take on."

He sees Goblet as "an absolute classic thriller. At the beginning, the antagonist, the anti-hero, the creature of supreme evil has a plan. He needs one tiny, tiny little thing from the boy: three drops of blood. Therefore he sets up this gorgeous piece of clockwork which will get him what he needs. And the boy, classically, starts, as all thriller heroes do, in complete ignorance, and then you watch him ratchet around until and he and the antagonist are in exactly the same place at the same time, knowing everything." Asked if there is one section of the book that, as a filmmaker, is especially irresistible for him to tackle, he is very clear and excited. "Yeah, the big denouement, the big shootout at the end is very exciting, not least because the antagonist starts as a kind of horrible foetus wrapped up in a bundle of rags and has to become this great looming presence. You have to transform it."

Fawkes

Avril

Fawkes

Avril

Fawkes

:angelic: :cowboy: :purpleelephant: :snake: :redballoon: :lost: :devil: :help: :skull: :stop: :ghost: :dog:
:) ;) :D ;D 8) :-*

~ Ella

~ Pure Veela...

Fawkes

~ Ella

~ Pure Veela...

Fawkes

~ Ella

Has anyone seen Four Weddings and a Funeral?
~ Pure Veela...

Kiara Johnson

No hun, I have not and thank you for putting a stop to the smile thing.