News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

sexism in harry potter

Started by firenze, June 24, 2004, 04:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firenze

many of u might not have thought in this direction but i think harry potter is essentially sexist.i say this because it struck me, that most of the important charcters in the book are males, for instance voldemort,harry(of course),dumbledore,sirius black etc. the males outnumber the females in this book.even though the author is a female herself she has tried to create a replica of the real sexist world in her books.why on earth can harry not have a godmother say his mother's close friend at school or something why did rowling have to make the character a male.i dont want to make the book all femalish but i stand for equal representation.it seems rowling thinks that females are not capable of courage and firm determination which is of couse not true.you may question "hey what about hermione?".yes answer to u would be "exactly what about hermione".hermione in the books (mind u) is a studious and not that good looking girl,she simply helps harry in achieving his goals or from getting away from tight spots.when she takes a stand on anything half the time she is seen as a nuisance by own friends ron and harry too.i agree that hermone as a imp position too in the book but count the number of female wizards who are imp to the book.for heaven's sake not cho chang she  there to show harry's love side and nothing else.think about it and let me know if u can count upto atleast 10 (i mean imp female characters)

_Lavender_

(Tonks, McGonnagal, Madam Sprout, Madam Pomfrey, Lilly Potter, Mollly Weasly, Ginny Weasly, Hermionie, Cho Chang, Luna Lovegood, Pervarti and Padma Paitil, and more. )
See? More than Ten.  J.K Rowling probably hasn`t even thought about being like that. When an author creates characters, they don`t mean for them to be a specific gender, it`s just the way they turn out in thre authors head; the story I am writing right now may have more male characters than female. I don`t know; I don`t intend it to be that way, it just writes out. I can name plenty of books that have just a male or two, or so as characters, and, really, it doesn`t affect the plot. The author hadn`t intended to put a certain gender in the way they wrote, and, again, it just turned out that way. When an author creates characters, they form the character the way it needs to be. So Hermione is a bit ugly, and a nusience sometimes. Just proves that not all women are outwardly beautiful. But, in my opinion, I like Hermionies character. She shows strength in her own unique way.
A new age. | A New definition. | A new life.
Hi. My name is â€¢Lavender•

Ginny Weasly

Yeah, those and you have to rember, every good writer tries to make her or his story, real. Make you think aboput it by making it seem closer to this real world. Though I do see a small point in what you said, JK Rowling also had many important woman charactors. Lily for example, she's one of the most important charactores. About Hermione though, later on, she does become quite pretty if you read.
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret