News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

What does it mean by...

Started by 0612, July 31, 2004, 08:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's "Nitwick, blubber, oddment, tweak" and "Draco, Dormeins, Nunquam, Titilandus"?

And BTW, my spelling is seriously wrong.

emily824

Actually we don't know what either of those phrases mean, they never told us, but i think by the end of the books we might find out what "Draco, Dormeins, Nunquam, Titilandus" means. But the way the books are going, you really don't know what to expect....sorry if i didn't really answer it... :-\
Harry Potter and the Signs of the Dark Lord

new chapters are in so read it if you follow the story! ;)

Tweetie

Draco Dormeins Nunquam Titilandus is the Hogwarts school motto and it means Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon. Very good advice, if you ask me. ;)

emily824

but that doesn't make ne sense....what does that have to do with hogwarts?  ???
Harry Potter and the Signs of the Dark Lord

new chapters are in so read it if you follow the story! ;)

Fawkes

I got this from a Longman Dictionary:

Nitwit: A silly foolish person.

Blubber: To cry noisily (<- I'm not sure of this one)

Oddment: Something remaining

Tweak:To take hold of, pull or twist (especially the ear or nose) with sudden movement.

pig

blubber is also the name of the fat that keep seals warm :)

Tweetie

I don't know what it has to do with Hogwarts, but it is good advice.  Maybe it's advice for Hagrid, because maybe he'll want to playfully tickle a sleeping dragon? :-\ He can get a little air headed around monsters.

Hey, how did you know that the Draco thingy meant don't tickle a sleeping dragon?

Fawkes

Well it's all over the Internet...you can find it in almost any Harry Potter site. ;)

Tweetie

I read about in a Disney Adventures magazine.  I can't remember which issue, but it had also mentioned that Professor Flitwick is the head of Ravenclaw House.

Major Perigord

Proffessor Flitwik seems to be more hufflepuff than ravenclaw.
Weasley cannot save a thing,
he cannot block a singel ring,
thats why slytherins all sing,
Weasley is our king.

Weasley was born in a bin,
he always lets the Quaffle in,
Weasley will make sure we win,
Weasley is our King.

brian

im pretty sure he's neither, but which book is the draco phrase in? I dont remember it, and also, why would Hogwarts' motto make sense at all? then it wouldnt be a very good motto for that school.

Tweetie

I can't find it in any of the books. :( I did read about it in Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, after the introduction by Albus Dumbledore.

brian

Tweetie

Quote from: Harry_Potter22 on August 13, 2004, 03:44:09 AM
the draco phrase?

Yeh.  I think that they mentioned Professor Flitwick being head of Ravenclaw in the fifth book.  Not positive, though.