News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

rock bands

Started by gcfreak#1, September 21, 2005, 04:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo

thank you for the support you two  :)

platypus, it is my right to have my own opinon. in my opinon, they are old, and they abandoned what true metal is all about and sold themselves out to the mainstream so that they could get more money. how many "metal" bands besides them do you hear on the radio? or see on MTV? NONE! except for when they are played on headbangersball at 2am. i prefer real metal, not mainstream metal. you like it? fine, your entitled to it, go listen to enter the sandman untill your ears fall off, i don't particularly care, but dont start getting on my case about my free expression of ideas.
"Without a common power to keep them in check, there will be no advancement, and the life of man is poor, solitary, nasty, brutish, and short."~Thomas Hobbes

Em

yea, no problem... but reading your opinions makes my head hurt... too much thought went into that....lol...

platypus

Quote from: Emily on November 12, 2005, 10:52:34 AM
Quote from: platypus on November 11, 2005, 11:33:48 PM
Quote from: Dark Wizard Neo on November  9, 2005, 04:52:56 AM
metalica are sellouts in my opinion.

Try spelling their name correctly first before dissing them, i dont beleive this is the case and i have heard many a person say the same as you do and i dont see what grounds they are basing that opinion on. They are one of the most sucessful heavy bands of all time.

I wouldnt say that infront of my sister either if i was you lol, she doesnt come on anymore though sadly, too busy.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion... and yes, everybody makes grammatical errors, including you so I would appreciate it if you stopped being a hypocrite....  ::)

Your sister is a member here? What is her username?  ???

I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion. I was just interested to see on what grounds he was basing that opinion, i have noticed alot of people who feel the same and i was curious as to see where he was coming from, thats all.

My sister was the one who told me about this website, she used to come on here but hasnt been online for some months as she started college and has been really busy but she tells me to say Hello to you all and apologised for her absence. Her username is Miss Self Destruct, its a song by a band she is keen on.

Quote from: Dark Wizard Neo on November 12, 2005, 11:28:35 AM
thank you for the support you two  :)

platypus, it is my right to have my own opinon. in my opinon, they are old, and they abandoned what true metal is all about and sold themselves out to the mainstream so that they could get more money. how many "metal" bands besides them do you hear on the radio? or see on MTV? NONE! except for when they are played on headbangersball at 2am. i prefer real metal, not mainstream metal. you like it? fine, your entitled to it, go listen to enter the sandman untill your ears fall off, i don't particularly care, but dont start getting on my case about my free expression of ideas.

Dark Wizard Neo> How would you define "true" metal then? i am curious. Many people seem to think they as you put it "sold out". I just dont see where you are coming from. There is absolutley nothing wrong with Mainstream, i dont get this whole "you have to be out of the limelight to be a real musican" idea. Its stupid. What your saying is that you have to be "unsucessful" to be a good musician? How does that work?

To be honest, lets look at it this way. Do you really think music is about figures, about business ventures and about television appearances? Do you really think that just because you hear a band on the radio that they dont deserve that airtime? I think you seem to forget about one thing. That little thing called the music itself. It doesnt matter how many times a song is played on MTV or Radio, how does that change the quality of the song? If you really believe that then you cant really of cared much about the music in the first place.

Sure Metallica have made what some fans might of considered mistakes in their career but they have written a hell of alot of good music in the process. I admire them for doing their own thing instead of what they are expected to do by people, and they dont write music for their fans, they write music to satisfy their own creative flow. Whether you like it or not is up to you. That is what a real musician is dedicated in doing.

Disclaimer: I know some people have taken my ideals the wrong way but please, be assured that this is NOT a personal attack. This is in the interests of expression of opinion. I am just curious as to see the outcome of my posts. Please dont take offense.

The platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) is a small, semi-aquatic mammal endemic to the eastern part of Australia, and one of the four extant monotremes,the only mammals that lay eggs instead of giving birth.

Neo

I see where you are comming from, but I still dissagree. People who are metalheads are those who have always been the outcasts in school. The ones who are shoved to the side in society. We like the really heavy stuff, because it allows us to connect with others who have had the same expierences as we have had. We like the screaming and growling, because it makes it more exclusive, and it shows that they are getting their anger at being pushed around out in their music. It seperates us from all other types of music. We see who the real ones are and who the posers are. If you met me on the street you wouldn't know me to be a metalhead, because I don't dress like it, I dress like a regular person and sometimes like somewhat of a prep, since I go to a prep school. What the difference between real metalheads and posers, is that we understand its not how you dress but how you view life. Its the individuality and community of metal which exists at the same time which drives people to this type of music.

Now, as for the first part of your reply, I define metal as hard, fast, heavy, and almost all, if not all, screaming. That's my type of metal, you like other types, good for you, but for me, thats the type I like.

You talked about the Mainstream thing. There is nothing wrong with being Mainstream, what matters is what TYPE of Mainstream. Are you MTV Mainstream, or the Metal Community Manistream, where you are Mainstream to metalheads but are still Underground for everyone else. Most people prefer the latter, and since Metallica is of the former, consider them to be sellouts. They started to make music which would appeal to more people, especially in the regular rock genre, so they could get more fans and get more money. Many metalheads like myself don't like that. That's our view, take it or leave it.
"Without a common power to keep them in check, there will be no advancement, and the life of man is poor, solitary, nasty, brutish, and short."~Thomas Hobbes

platypus

Quote from: Dark Wizard Neo on November 14, 2005, 02:20:38 AM
I see where you are comming from, but I still dissagree. People who are metalheads are those who have always been the outcasts in school. The ones who are shoved to the side in society. We like the really heavy stuff, because it allows us to connect with others who have had the same expierences as we have had. We like the screaming and growling, because it makes it more exclusive, and it shows that they are getting their anger at being pushed around out in their music. It seperates us from all other types of music. We see who the real ones are and who the posers are. If you met me on the street you wouldn't know me to be a metalhead, because I don't dress like it, I dress like a regular person and sometimes like somewhat of a prep, since I go to a prep school. What the difference between real metalheads and posers, is that we understand its not how you dress but how you view life. Its the individuality and community of metal which exists at the same time which drives people to this type of music.

Now, as for the first part of your reply, I define metal as hard, fast, heavy, and almost all, if not all, screaming. That's my type of metal, you like other types, good for you, but for me, thats the type I like.

You talked about the Mainstream thing. There is nothing wrong with being Mainstream, what matters is what TYPE of Mainstream. Are you MTV Mainstream, or the Metal Community Manistream, where you are Mainstream to metalheads but are still Underground for everyone else. Most people prefer the latter, and since Metallica is of the former, consider them to be sellouts. They started to make music which would appeal to more people, especially in the regular rock genre, so they could get more fans and get more money. Many metalheads like myself don't like that. That's our view, take it or leave it.

Interesting point of view. I dont agree with what you are saying but i wont push it.

Thank you for sharing your insight with me though  ;)

The platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) is a small, semi-aquatic mammal endemic to the eastern part of Australia, and one of the four extant monotremes,the only mammals that lay eggs instead of giving birth.

Axel

I like Linkin Park, Slipknot, Nightwish, P.O.D., Guano Apes, OOMPH!, Three Days Grace.
I also like some songs of Apocalyptica, Path is my particular favourite.
Can't stand The Rasmus and Him.
I don't like rap/hip-hop (I don't know the difference between these to  ???)
I hate Pop music.
This are my personal likings, so I hope that Rap and Pop fans will not be insulted.

P.S. I hope this topic was not too old to post in :)
Vae Victus!

mamabiscuit

i like the killers and franz ferdinand and emmmmmmmmmmm kaiser chiefs herd of any of them
have you heard of oasis there great to the importance of being idle find it listen to it love it
J K Rowling IS THE BEST! J K ROWLING IS THE BEST!

Neo

Quote from: Axel on January 10, 2006, 10:47:42 PM
I like Linkin Park, Slipknot, Nightwish, P.O.D., Guano Apes, OOMPH!, Three Days Grace.
I also like some songs of Apocalyptica, Path is my particular favourite.
Can't stand The Rasmus and Him.
I don't like rap/hip-hop (I don't know the difference between these to  ???)
I hate Pop music.
This are my personal likings, so I hope that Rap and Pop fans will not be insulted.

P.S. I hope this topic was not too old to post in :)

I absolutly LOVE Linkin Park! I was in the LPU for a few years. 3DG is ok too, but when are they gonna get around to releasing their 2nd album?

The difference between rap and hip-hop can only be decribed in terms of the artists that do it. Usher is hip-hop, G-Unit is rap.

And no, this one wasn't too old, but thank you for asking and making sure.

Axel

Yeah, I'm also a big fan of LP. I've got all their CDs, except the LPU ones, they are nearly impossible to find on Cyprus. And in Russia there are only fakes (yeah, there is LPU 2.5 and a whole new album which hasn't got any connection with LP, but it says it's LP so lots of people buy it)
Neo, judging by how you describe you should listen to Slipknot. I think you'll like it  ;)
Vae Victus!

Neo

They have a couple good songs, but I prefer groups like Chimaria and Dead to Fall.

ron2kool

I like MCR, LP, Green Day, Slip Knot, SOAD, and a lot more but mainly rock, punk, heavy metel, and some hip hop/ rap isn't so bad but not my perfered choice

darkstar1024

I don't have too many favorite things but i'll just list in no particular order.
-Lamb of God. The drummer is good but not as good as people say he is, the guitarist are great and extremly melodic. F'n heavy but it's not just stupid fuzz..
-Children of Bodom--- can't describe how good it is.
-Black Label Society-- Zakk F-n Wylde... 'nuff said.
-Pantera--OMG music. May "Dimebag" Darrel Abbot rest in peace
-Stevie Ray Vaughan-- My absolute favorite musician of all time. The feeling and the passion combined with virtuosity and songwriting skills...
-Jeff Buckley-- The best singer i've ever heard... maybe not the best but at least my favorite to listen to.
-Nicolo Paganini-- I'm still trying to work on his 24 caprices. d**n him!!
-John Mayer-- He's so deep. He's better than his pop music gives him credit for. He's a great blues guitar player.
-Jimi Hendrix-- ... there is nothing i can possibly say ... he's ridiculous.