News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Quills and Candles

Started by sweetlikepoison, July 28, 2002, 01:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetlikepoison

How come in the wizard world the STILL use quills and candels and all that 18th century stuff? I mean, I know that maybe lightbulbs wouldn't work there but they could at least use pens!
Still, I kinda like that they still use that stuff. I've been looking for a decently priced quill cuz I wanna try it!
Official Keeper of All Things Green and/or Shiny aboard the SS Fire & Ice

Ohh...
I wanna put my tender heart in a blender,
Watch it spin around to a beautiful oblivion...
[/color]

emily824

i have no idea! why don't they use light bulbs? i don't know! and ron weasley is so totally mine!
Harry Potter and the Signs of the Dark Lord

new chapters are in so read it if you follow the story! ;)

Gengi

Lol. I don't really know. ^~^; But electrisity and magic don't mix well, so they use candles....but I'm sure they put all these spells on them to work just as well as lightbulbs, if not better! :D
And quills....I dunno, maybe they like using them! ^^;
I have a quill! :D
*~ Sirius Black - My fugitive stud muffin! :3

Where the moon shines bright.

emily824

me too! and i have a bottle of ink! to make parchment is easy.  u take plain paper, and put it in tea for a while, take it out, ant let it dry..then u have parchment! ;D

Harrys_girl_friend

hey that's a cool idea em. i think all u really have to do is get a turkey feather or something like that and use it.
~* Roxy *~ OR also known as *~ Harrys_girl_friend ~* just call me Roxy!

~* gentle is his nature, never has sinned, everyone knows he's the spirit of the wind*~

~*Roxxann is her name and softball is her game! She's got a homerun on her mind and woo shes looking fine!*~

emily824

hey fleur, why at the bottlom of ur signature it says
heartdraco? what does it mean?
 ???

Gengi

Yeah Emily! :D I had to make parchemnt in 6th grade! :) It took a lot of work, but it turned out really pretty! ^_^

Sway

i love writing with a quill!!!!   I might even use it in school next year...
I got it at the House of Seven Gables shop in boston, but that is a lot closer for me than anyone else here....
I would suggest anywhere that is a historical site, ive seen them all over those places, specially gift shops. :)
To make paper look old, you can always but it in the oven... You wet the paper slightly with a wet tea bag, and then put it in the oven at like 200 degrees F, but you need to watch it, cuz it doesnt take long at all.
DISCLAIMER: Its not my fault if you try this and it doesnt work, or if you get hurt, maimed, or die in the process... this is only a suggestion
Dave Matthews Band muvarse mi mundo!!!!  Are there any other dave fans here?

emily824

actully sway, do u live in Mass.? so do i! i live like 15 mins. away from RI. and most of my family lives in salem!

Lily_Evans

I have a torch and a quill!.

then maybe I can make parchment.......

.:~*Shuiliya*~:.

I have a quill and ink... and I used to have parchment.  I got it at a store called 'Moon Spire'... dunno if it's anywhere but where I live...
They can't use lightbulbs 'coz you can't use muggle elecricity at Hogwarts because the strong magical hold keeps it from working.  But I don't know why they don't use pens and regular paper.. maybe to keep the cultures distant and different from the muggles?   ???
Shui~the Queen of Monkii's in the Future World
      ~One of the two brilliant... beautiful... and majestic Spelling Mages!

Be happy! :D

ronweazley122

yeah...I suppose....how come when harry's at the dursley's he uses a quill instead of a pen or paper?

emily824

he should use a pen! they're alot quicker to write with!

ronweazley122

Gengi

*shrugs* Who knows! ^^; But it does make it more interesting. :)

Oh Shui! Where did "Moon Spire" go?? ??? Isn't it suppost to be in the neon-lighted stip mall thingy? o_o We can't see it! :(