News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

The Golden Compass!

Started by fudge0604, January 5, 2008, 01:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fudge0604

I have just read the golden compass and I, thuoght it was so great that i will give you guys, a tip about it! If you like a bit fantasy like kinda books, with some additions to the world we live in, and an exiting story/serie than there you have a book for you!

Hope you like it!

Ps. In that serie it is also two other books. I don't remember the book's name.
Pps. The author's name is Philip Pullman.

Post Potter depression.

Corbin

ok I herd of it but i haven't read it.

draco294

omg.
i would never read that..

the guy wrote that book about killing God.
He's an atheist and is trying to spread it.
Never would I read that book.

But thats just my opinion.
Some wizarding families are much better than others.
I am Draco Malfoy, by the way.

fudge0604

yes.... But i think that is a remarkable book, and i want to finish of the series.....
But I have never heard of him writing a book, about killing God....

Post Potter depression.

richiee

ive seen the movie its kinda cool

Ginny Weasly

I read the book. I loved it. The series is called His Dark Materials.
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

dobby888

I've read all three books and I've seen the movie, and there was only one part in the movie that might have possibly been related to taking over the church or something and I never would have thought that if my mom hadn't pointed it out

starlink_033

Quote from: draco294 on January  5, 2008, 11:10:11 AM
omg.
i would never read that..

the guy wrote that book about killing God.
He's an atheist and is trying to spread it.
Never would I read that book.

But thats just my opinion.

agreed

Ginny Weasly

Regarding my ulta short post from before. I apologize, I was using my cell phone.

On topic:
The Golden Compass is an amazing book, focusing on a different reality. It talks about a girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and not even know she's doing it. It mentions the church a few times, yes, many books I've read do.
I'm very interested in such books, and I am not biased because I'm Agnostic. I read books that promote the church and books that are anti-church.
Knowledge is power.
And I refuse to allow anyone (even a chruch) to tell me what I can and cannot read.
My motivation

My dedication
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

fudge0604

Yes.... When did you read the Golden Compass Ginny?

And I also think it is a very good book. But I am wondering about the movie... i hope it's good
because i don't want that director, to ruin that series as that director, that is making Harry Potter on movie. :( :(

(( I am extremely dissapointed about movie 5!))

Post Potter depression.

Ginny Weasly

I just read it this past month. My little sister got me it for my birthday, and it looked good so I read it.

Loved it, it's a great story.
My motivation

My dedication
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

fudge0604

I know. But have you read the other books? I am waiting for someone to turn in their books,
and get my greedy hands on the second book.

Post Potter depression.

dobby888

Quote from: Ginny Weasly on January  6, 2008, 01:19:20 PM
Regarding my ulta short post from before. I apologize, I was using my cell phone.

On topic:
The Golden Compass is an amazing book, focusing on a different reality. It talks about a girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and not even know she's doing it. It mentions the church a few times, yes, many books I've read do.
I'm very interested in such books, and I am not biased because I'm Agnostic. I read books that promote the church and books that are anti-church.
Knowledge is power.
And I refuse to allow anyone (even a chruch) to tell me what I can and cannot read.

I agree Ginny, but I am catholic, and they do kind of tell me what to do through the ten commandments, but I still read just about any book that I can find in my house!!

Ginny Weasly

I'm sorry, but you'll have to remind me of the Ten Commandments....

I don't think "Thou shalt not read The Golden Compass" is one of them.
I really wouldn't know, I'm not particulary religious...

Understand I am not trying to start a religious fight. Goodness knows we have enough of those, I really am curious as to which of the Ten Commandments refer to reading books that might be anti-church.
My motivation

My dedication
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

Kilynn

I would also never ever read those books. (just my opinion)
i got kissed lol ;p "If ur having problems with someone, walk a mile in their shoes, then you are a mile away, and you have thier shoes"-Annonymous~