News:

Harry Potter Fan - 100% has been online for 20 years
Please help support this site by visiting our partners www.forbiddenplanet.com for lots of cool Harry Potter Merch!
CLICK HERE!
A small percentage of each sale goes towards the upkeep of the site.

Main Menu

Nightmares

Started by Miss Xantier, April 11, 2010, 12:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Xantier

Hey guys, I'm sending a plea for help. As the night before last night, I encountered the worst nightmare ever. It morphed after the first running of it when I awoke, then it was worse. With this creepy short old lady with a hunched over back, short straggly gray hair with a cane. she just stared at me, and I was hiding my face in my dad's stomach yelling the German word, and she still didn't disappeared. She was blocking the pantry with the towels. Now, I'm afraid to have another nightmare like that, so what can I do to ward off the nightmares?

What did last night was calm down, relax, and not listen to any of the bumps in the night. So I pretty much went into my meditation state. That what Sky recommended to me to do. As I couldn't further my original plan because I had to go to bed.

Ginny Weasly

There's actually nothing you can do to fully prevent nightmares. I was told to try and think only about good things.
Since dreams are memories, thoughts, and feelings expressed within seconds by your brain while your body is asleep, these things cannot be controlled.
Unfortunately, bad dreams are a part of life.

I agree with Sky, meditation often helps calm you down, erasing the bad thoughts. Hopefully that helps.

I've woken up screaming before, I know how much nightmares can set you on edge and ruin your entire day. The best thing to do is forget the dream as quickly as possible.
My motivation
An oath I've sworn to defend

My dedication
To all that I've sworn to protect
I carry out my orders
With not a regret

Miss Xantier

Yeah, the second dream was probably an aftermath. But the first, I'm not sure how it was made, because I was completely happy, and no bad thoughts or memories of the paranormal. But thanks!

Alexis

I've always heard that dreams aren't ever literal, but different things in your dreams symbolize different things that you remember or just have in your mind.
You'll most likely have more nightmares than good dreams, but try what Ginny said and think only happy thoughts.
If The World Was Coming To An End...
   I'd Rather Stay Blindfolded Than Open My Eyes...

~Harry Potter~

You may think you are happy on the outside but deep down you could have something that is bugging you which forces its way out during a nightmare.  If it becomes habitual then you need to try and figure out what you need to face but if it is just one you can chalk it up to something you ate or something small like you were worried about a grade of some sort. 
They say trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if its broke
But you can still see the crack in your reflection

Miss Xantier

Quote from: Alexis on April 12, 2010, 01:41:56 AM
You'll most likely have more nightmares than good dreams.

Actually had more good dreams then nightmares, oddly.

Quote from: ~Harry Potter~ on April 12, 2010, 01:49:03 AM
You may think you are happy on the outside but deep down you could have something that is bugging you which forces its way out during a nightmare.  If it becomes habitual then you need to try and figure out what you need to face but if it is just one you can chalk it up to something you ate or something small like you were worried about a grade of some sort. 

You're probably, something in the subconscious is being disturbed so then it makes a nightmare.

Sky

This kind of makes me think of my anxiety attacks.

I would wake up feeling anxious and not even know why. So I think there is something in the back of my mind that I'm not consciously aware of that drove me to feel that way. Something that worried or bothered me.

Perhaps that is what is going on with you, but in the outcome of a nightmare.

My best idea I can give you is to go to sleep listening to instrumental music or classical music. For example: Kingdom Hearts music is very calming, or at least most of it is. It's from a game but the instrumentals are beautiful and relaxing. Or get the instrumental of your favorite songs. But pick calming ones. You probably don't want songs with lyrics unless its like...Enya or something because that words could affect what you dream of or keep you from relaxing.

Here is a list of song suggestions you can try:

Kingdom Hearts:
Dearly Beloved
Traverse Town
Twilight Town
Lazy Afternoons
Treasured Memories
Friends In My Heart

Pretty much any Enya song.

Miss Xantier

Thanks Sky, you might be quite right, I'm actually looking at looking for a download of the sound of crashing waves, a flowing river/creek, thunderstorm, and rain. That usually calms me. That was my original plan.

I've been thinking about my nightmares and fears. The nightmares sometimes create fears. Like I had one of elevators, before it I wasn't nervous in elevators, after it, I am. I'm gripping the bars in the elevators so hard that my knuckles that they were white. Though sometimes nightmares create a fear, they also can help you try and conquer fears without killing yourself. Like me falling, not so much scared of that anymore or hospitals.

Sky

Though I never listen to my own advice, it usually works for other people lol.

Maybe we just got to look for the bright things in our fears. Every single thing has at least 1 pro and con.

Spiders:

Pro• They eat insects and assist with population control.

Con• I'm terrified of them.

Umm...let's see. Hospitals.

Pro• They help the sick and hurt. They nurture us back to health

Con• They tend to smell and its hard to imagine that somewhere in there, someone is dying or has died.

But the pros outweight the cons, yes?

Oh I'm just babbling. For some reason, this topic is REALLY interesting me.

Alexis

I have bad dreams a lot.  I usually forget them a few hours after I woke up, but there are those few that stick with me and I still can remember them to this day.

I've always had this one nightmare that I get over and over ever since I was little. It's impossible to explain anything that happens in it, espeically when I don't understand it myself.  But it's weird, whenever I try to think about it I feel lightheaded and I get this almost sick feeling in the pit of my stomache.
I don't know, it's weird.
If The World Was Coming To An End...
   I'd Rather Stay Blindfolded Than Open My Eyes...

Miss Xantier

Quote from: Alexis on April 12, 2010, 05:19:33 AM
I have bad dreams a lot.  I usually forget them a few hours after I woke up, but there are those few that stick with me and I still can remember them to this day.

I've always had this one nightmare that I get over and over ever since I was little. It's impossible to explain anything that happens in it, espeically when I don't understand it myself.  But it's weird, whenever I try to think about it I feel lightheaded and I get this almost sick feeling in the pit of my stomache.
I don't know, it's weird.

Maybe, it some kind of message. I've always thought of dreams as messages. Some are just plan dreams and some are messages. It quite hard trying to figure them out.

Quote from: Sky on April 12, 2010, 05:16:30 AM
Though I never listen to my own advice, it usually works for other people lol.

Maybe we just got to look for the bright things in our fears. Every single thing has at least 1 pro and con.

Spiders:

Pro• They eat insects and assist with population control.

Con• I'm terrified of them.

Umm...let's see. Hospitals.

Pro• They help the sick and hurt. They nurture us back to health

Con• They tend to smell and its hard to imagine that somewhere in there, someone is dying or has died.

But the pros outweigh the cons, yes?

Oh I'm just babbling. For some reason, this topic is REALLY interesting me.

It's okay! I find this topic really helpful and yet interesting. You are right, the pros do outweigh the cons! You aren't really babbling! For some reason, I'm more alert and aware when it's night time. And not during the day. I wish there were night schools.

Sky

That seems to be how a lot of teenagers are. More alert during the night, and REALLY tired during the day. Haha.

My imagination works best at night. I think that's because its so quiet and peaceful, that I'm not as distracted. I'm...comfortable.

Miss Xantier

Yeah. I wonder why? Strangely as a kid it was the same. Though I've never been really tired during the day! That's probably why Sky!

Sky

Miss Xantier

Why it's so quiet and peacefully to you.